Hello all I am Eystein Hansen and I run ADA North Pool. You can find info on my pool on https://stakepool.show/ANP
In short if you want to support a home built server by someone who cares for Cardano and is trying not just making money on the pool but making sure the overall network health is good as well then I am one of the pool operators you should consider.
What has ANP done so far:
- Been active in the community through twitter / youtube
- Contributed to so far 3 episodes of Cardano Effect (69 64 and 58)
- Built our own home server with powerful hardware that runs on little power. (at most 65 watt but most day to day much less than this)
- Upgraded network equipment to be data center / carrier grade type of equipment (I think at this point I have a faster router than my ISP provider has on the other end LOL) and this is important to have the capacity for a larger number of connections that means I can both see a large part of the network fast and also gossip to a large part of the network.
- Made custom scripts and customizing scripts of others in the community to monitor and keep server and nodes running in optimal performance.
- Active in discussions on policy and taking clear stances on policy issues (protocol ban only, but warn deligators of multi leader pools damaging network etc.)
- Donated to Kiva and joined the Cardano Community lending team for Kiva.
- Made a large number of Ubuntu tweaks ranging from tcp/ip tweak to network kernel tweaks, also inspired guides like ILAP’s guide to use Chrony that now seems a standard or Chris’s usage of google BBR.
- Pledged to run a single pool and only adding nodes to help with health of the network.
- Pledged to run normal or high number of connections and not block / ban for optimal performance at the expense of overall network.
- Data collection and analyse together with other pool operators to understand network better while still ongoing contributions to the testnet that is not incentivized.
- Operating web server and soon also our own SSL certificate to cut costs (we use 1 year of godaddy)
- Added monitoring scripts so users can also monitor performance of server / jormungandr
- Recording historic moments from the ITN and going forward as I believe it is important to document this for the future : https://twitter.com/search?q=%23historyofcardano&src=typed_query
That is on top of my head I am sure I forgot some things as well as its been quite a ride! Personally I have been active since December 2017 and for example I was active as a guardian in trying to change the leadership of Cardano Foundation.
- Become a company in Norway once we see if we have stable income. We have a very low fixed fee once hardware costs are earned back (1/2th there so far) and currently costs is less than 65 watt of power drawn and the slight usage of the 1GB fiber we have. Due to the way the tax system in Norway work we are encouraged to funnel a lot of income into growth so its a clear goal to grow with the ecosystem.
- Preparing for smart contracts with possible aiming to become an oracle for smart contracts if needed by the Cardano protocol. (currently learning Haskell).
- Add an extra fiber for redundancy together with 5G. Combined with already installed UPS we should have a very redundant system that is on site and monitored every day.
- Considering also hosting web pages for other pool operators as our server capacity is underutilized as a favor to the network
- Possibly going ahead with one of my ideas (Family Connect) to help family members abroad efficiently allow other family members onshore to spend money without large losses in transfer fees and helping merchants enable this and other services for merchants so they would wish to adopt this service see: Possible idea for family economic connection
- Possibly looking into making a legal DSL for Cardano:
Bitlaw a legal system with a DSL for Cardano governance
- Actively pursue social contracts / alliances between pool operators and community to strengthen the ecosystem.
- Possibly engaging into the Norwegian Cardano community to develop and nourish it further with information and support.