Announcing our first group of Cardano Ambassadors!

This thread is amazing. The discussion around privacy is important. My preference would be for Amabassadors to not be obfuscated by a persona. I feel like it’s more authentic and builds trust. Isn’t the block chain about trust? Feel free to be anonymous, but you leave your reader wondering “why?”. It’s fine to leave me wondering why. I respect that. But I’m spending cycles wondering why.

2 Likes

I am glad to read this. I can understand why some ambassadors would like to remain anonymous to the public.

I can see how exposure in public could lead to several adversities, especially for someone who has their life’s saving in the current financial system. If we are locked out of the current financial system because of active involvement in Cardano, then I am not sure how many of us have any alternative financial system to fall back on. It’s a slightly different story for those who have already made their millions with Bitcoin, but for the rest of us it would be a severely adverse situation.

In my opinion, asking for people to use their real identity in public as “Cardano Ambassador” is effectively putting up a barrier which they must overcome in order to contribute. I would rather the ambassador contribute as they can - as long as the contribution helps carry the message to those who haven’t received it yet or to those who are still skeptic about Cardano.

9 Likes

I am sorry but as long as there is Cardano, there will be Watchdogs … and who knows how many similar other groups.

Read up the intro.

https://forum.cardano.org/t/cardano-watchdogs-this-time-its-about-you

Good night Gents! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Very good discussion i would say!

Everyone held different opinions and how should we find consensus? :laughing:

4 Likes

Yes Bert you are a bulldozer. You get a lot done and you’re fucking brilliant, but you do tend to push others around on your way.

It’s important to have a smoothly running, fair system, but after a certain point perhaps the energy being used to perfect the system is simply wasted energy, as nothing will ever be perfect, especially humans.

We are lucky to have you on our side to be sure. However, as a wildland firefighter I can say from experience that sometimes a bulldozer is required, but often a chainsaw is adequate.

5 Likes

The issue of “anonymity” here is surface level. It’s being used to spark a fight. Notice the issue starts with the Ambassador anonymity but it doesn’t stay there too long, it spreads into other areas like hiering “exceptional people” to manage the community. It’s a non issue for me, I’m out in the open. It can also be resolved by putting it up for a vote amongst Ambassadors. If but really when Ambassador anonymity is revoked, it won’t reconcile the deeper divide here. There’s a reform faction forming to oppose the conservatives, it’s only natural.

Friendly reminder, let’s keep it civil.

Always Be Civil

Nothing sabotages a healthy conversation like rudeness:

• Be civil. Don’t post anything that a reasonable person would consider offensive, abusive, or hate speech.
  • Keep it clean. Don’t post anything obscene or sexually explicit.
  • Respect each other. Don’t harass or grief anyone, impersonate people, or expose their private information.
  • Respect our forum. Don’t post spam or otherwise vandalise the forum.
  • We take harassment seriously. Harassment includes offensive verbal comments related to gender, age, sexual orientation, disability, physical appearance, body size, race, religion, but also includes deliberate intimidation, stalking, following, sustained disruption of conversation. Harassment of admins or moderators will not be tolerated.

These are not concrete terms with precise definitions — avoid even the appearance of any of these things. If you’re unsure, ask yourself how you would feel if your post was featured on the front page of the New York Times.

This is a public forum, and search engines index these discussions. Keep the language, links, and images safe for family and friends

4 Likes

I am off for a run. When i come back i will show you why our Ambassadors should not be anonymous and why @tom.kelly and @maki.mukai should do back ground checks.

Not anonymous

Background checks; after you

Regarding Cardano ambassadors, we’re talking about members of the community that create legitimately helpful content or other efforts related to Cardano.

Just wanted to point out that there seem to be few people with strong opinions with very few post likes. Majority of likes are related to posts that don’t find anonymous names an issue in the ambassador program.

Can that settle it for now?

Is there any possible way to close this thread so the ambassador selection process can have it’s own thread?

6 Likes

Is this your version of Community consensus? :slight_smile: Really?!

Give me a break.

I don’t think Anonymity and Ambassadorship go together well.

The likes in this thread is by far no reflection of the Community opinion and should not be taken as a representative “result”.

Maybe majority of Community is fine with it, maybe not

1 Like

Why not? Do you have a proposition for a better measure? Maybe after one day it’s to early to call it a “community opinion” but if we look into it after a week and see that there are much more likes in the posts pro “possibility for anonymity” than in the posts against it, I would say that indeed it’s a kind of measure of the community opinion.

Maybe we could install a forum area where everyone can express his opinion to the different questions by voting. In any case we should take care that “community opinion” is not becoming defined by the loudest voices but by the majority of voices.

1 Like

You have maybe 50-200 people active in the Forum, 6000 signed the petition and the Community is from 50k-100k.

This is one social media channel, you have Reddit, Twitter, Facebook & Co.

No you can wait a year but you can never conclude any Community opinion by the likes on the threads here … sorry.

Though we badly need an infrastructure for Community voting, I agree!

2 Likes

This is my conclusion to this thread:

https://forum.cardano.org/t/cardano-ambassadors-cardano-community-champions

By the way: One thing about the ambassador program I personally don’t like is the possibility to nominate yourself. I think this should be cancelled and nominations should be only possible from other people.

Ok, you’re right. That means that “community opinion” has to be recorded at one central place, so CF has to provide such a place for everyone.

The likes here only show the opinion of the part of the community who visited the forum and read this thread. That’s much less a statement than “community opinion” but still it’s a statement.

4 Likes

Guys I realize a post was taken down & @knysna being suspended.

What happened?

1 Like

The post was flagged. I resolved it by suspending @knysna for 24 hours, as well as deleting the post to limit the spread of negativity. It’s clear @knysna feels disenfranchised, but this type of behavior will not be tolerated. Please refer to forum etiquette.

Always Be Civil

Nothing sabotages a healthy conversation like rudeness:

• Be civil. Don’t post anything that a reasonable person would consider offensive, abusive, or hate speech.
  • Keep it clean. Don’t post anything obscene or sexually explicit.
  • Respect each other. Don’t harass or grief anyone, impersonate people, or expose their private information.
  • Respect our forum. Don’t post spam or otherwise vandalise the forum.
  • We take harassment seriously. Harassment includes offensive verbal comments related to gender, age, sexual orientation, disability, physical appearance, body size, race, religion, but also includes deliberate intimidation, stalking, following, sustained disruption of conversation. Harassment of admins or moderators will not be tolerated.

These are not concrete terms with precise definitions — avoid even the appearance of any of these things. If you’re unsure, ask yourself how you would feel if your post was featured on the front page of the New York Times.

This is a public forum, and search engines index these discussions. Keep the language, links, and images safe for family and friends

4 Likes

I don’t think you would. I deleted it for a reason though, to stop the spread of negativity, the back and forth bickering and fighting. Digging up each other’s personal lives, and digital footprint and using them as personal attacks. I too have a search engine, so do “filthy mouths, monkey faces and anonymous.” For the future please let moderators moderate.

2 Likes

There should be clear & agreed protocol communicated for suspending someone.

Banning @knysna based on that message was a bit way too harsh IMO. Maybe delete post and ask to rephrase would have been more appropriate?

If someone is subject to criticism, then the same person should not be allowed to use his admin power and ban the other person IMO.

I do believe he had good intention with sharing example content that should be cleaned up to match the Ambassador role.

Guys, he is a good man, successful businessman, who loves Cardano, heavily invested and could be our father. Let’s give him some respect.

You can also moderate with style.

2 Likes

The ban is for 24hours, the minimum amount. To allow heads to cool off. I’m impartial, I don’t see it as a personal attack. I see it as infringement of forum etiquette, which I already posted once before as a warning.

3 Likes