Best way to lure in devs

I was thinking a bit about ways to get developers to join Cardano. And maybe not a very original idea, but it seemed to me that the most effective way would be a competition with a very large prize pool ( like 1 million ada). This could be - I’m just thinking aloud - a competition to develop a specific dapp, where there would be a popular vote and a jury (expert devs) vote, two large prices. Further, the top ten could be invited to form a team and work for Cardano for a period of time and also form the jury for the next competition. It would need some sponsoring (maybe some money from treachery) and/or maybe a small entry fee for the participants. But the gains from developers joining and building on Cardano would be huge overtime. I know the catalyst program also provides funding for dapp-development but it just isn’t as cool as a large competition with the possibility to become a millionaire…

3 Likes

What type of developers do we want to lure? Those out for the big bucks and interested in quick wins? Or those too concerned about their current projects where they’ve put their heart and soul. I think we need the latter and that will take time. I would also change your question. We don’t want to lure anyone. We just want to make sure Cardano makes their job a lot easier, safer, profitable, etc. We want to give them the full package. They’ll come automatically then, no need to lure them.

3 Likes

I’ll weigh in here, since I am a developer/architect.

The fact that the entire codebase is written in Haskell is a pretty potent deterrent for many developers. I’m fluent in a number of programming languages, but have no interest in learning Haskell simply because it isn’t a widely used language in the web/business world. It has no utility for my career.

I’m not knocking Haskell, since it is a fine language, but it’s hard to lure developers when not many exist to begin with. Just my opinion.

2 Likes

I’m a software developer/architect myself and I’ll disagree with you, but only to some extent. The type of software engineer that would work on a recent platform, such as Cardano, would probably be a more entrepreneurial one. Language is rarely an issue for those engineers as they happily jump between languages depending on the need of a project, rather than their individual interests. The nature of their technology choices also confirms to me how capable of a team this is and how serious they take certain guarantees that only functional languages can provide.

Where I agree with you is that it may place a limit on hiring software engineers into Cardano projects in a later stage. At that point, I think the learning curve of Haskell would be a plus as it would act as a filter for talent. And with proper mentoring and coaching, that learning curve won’t be that high.

Where I also agree with you is that it may place a limit on the piece of the market that Cardano could take, although this is solved with translation layers and other features that are being worked on. The way I understood it, you’ll be able to create smart contracts in a multitude of ways on Cardano, depending on your skillset or preferences. And I think that’s the best approach: enforce a strict internal approach but allow flexibility on the smart contract layer. Let developers make their own choices. If you really wanted to lure in devs, providing that flexibility is one solution, together with examples of other projects with initial success.

2 Likes

@DaedalusVoyage

I agree with you on all points. I actually made a similar note about passionate developers being the ones to take the time to learn Haskell, but removed it before posting.

I agree that smart contracts and L2 services is definitely where we will start to see an influx of developers provided that documentation is good and the system is suitably easy to understand from a development perspective.

2 Likes