Welcome to the Cardano Community Digest!
Published by the Cardano community team every two weeks, this Digest will provide you with news, updates and events about the project and ecosystem!
If you are interested in receiving the Community Digest in the future directly via email please sign-up here!
Focal points of the week
The Cardano Foundation is launching a new series of webinars
The Cardano Foundation is launching a new series of webinars entitled, Let’s talk Cardano, an exciting initiative which will cover a large range of topics within the ecosystem, with the first one focusing on the Women of Cardano. We know that the blockchain space will only reach its full potential by hearing from a diverse set of Cardano’s valued community members across a number of pertinent topics, and these women in particular have long played an essential role in driving innovation as well as growth.
Given this, we are pleased to offer everyone a unique platform for networking and learning from some of the most innovative and inspiring members in the blockchain industry. Register to join the discussions about businesses building on Cardano, the present and future of cNFTs (Cardano non-fungible tokens), and women in the Catalyst Circle.
CIP-1694 Workshop in Colorado
Last week, IOG, CF, and Emurgo held a meeting in Colorado where they were joined by several community members to discuss the latest on-chain governance development and CIP-1694. Further details about the meeting are expected to be shared within the next two weeks.
In the meantime, you’re welcome to join or follow the ongoing discussion about CIP-1694 on the Cardano Forum.
Great resources for getting a better understanding of CIP-1694
Recently there has been a lot of discussions ongoing about CIP-1694 and the development of Cardano’s onchain governance. Because of the complexity of the CIP, several community members have taken the time to do a deep dive into the CIP, and have provided us with a comprehensive breakdown to help better understand the proposal.
Below are several useful links from: CardanoPills & The Army of Spies, Jspeak, Andrew Westberg, and Rick McCracken:
- 🔎 Deep Dive: CIP-1694 | Cardano Pills
- Cardano (ADA) & Voltaire | Cardano Rumor Rundown #502 - YouTube
- CARDANO'S PLAN TO GET FULLY DECENTRALIZED DEEP DIVE! | CIP 1694 & VOLTAIRE - YouTube
- Cardano: NerdOut - Voltaire Governance - YouTube
- Digital Fortress - YouTube
Ambassador Stories, Journal #33: Diego Torres & Felix Weber
This week, we’re proud to once again present two new Ambassador Stories. This time we bring you the stories of Diego Torres & Felix Weber. Both Diego & Felix has joined the Ambassador ranks as Content Creators. Their stories not only give insight into how they contribute to the further advancement of our ecosystem, but also give you a small look into their personal lives. We hope you enjoy reading their stories as much as we did interviewing them.
Other Cardano related News
- Frederik Gregaard, CEO of the Cardano Foundation, joins Nucast for a twitter space discussing the Nucast Film Festival.
- In this first episode, our podcast host Aliya Das Gupta talks with Sandro Knöpfel Head of Financial & Regulated Institutions, at the Cardano Foundation, and Alvaro Cosi, Head of Innovation at Switzerland for UNHCR (the UN Refugee Agency in Switzerland), on how humanitarian organizations can benefit from blockchain technology
- Weekly Reddit overview from the Army of Spies, covering topics such as Genius Yield stakepools are retiring, Anzens latest newsletter about USDA, 30 million ADA locked in the Djed contract , and more.
Cardano Reddit Top 10 Most Engaged Topics
Below are the most engaging topics on Reddit
- Djed Stablecoin Now 4th Largest Project on Network
- Aiken simplifies writing smart contracts for Cardano
- All you need to know about Cardano’s CIP-1694 and its push toward decentralized governance
- World Mobile Completes Installation of 260 AirNodes in Zanzibar📡
- what is going on with LQ?
- Shen delegation rewards to holders - paid out EVERY epoch, not every 4 epochs!
- DEFI strategies on Cardano
- World Mobile Makes Headlines: Featured on Reuters for Its Innovative Approach to Bridging the Digital Divide.
- Finally pulled ada of exchange
- How does ADA scarcity relate to Cardano security and governance?
Cardano Forum Top 10 Top Referred Topics
Topics that have received the most clicks from external sources. (last 10 Days)
Recently held Meetups
Other meetups around the world:
- 4 February 2023|Cardano Lisbon Meetup #1 More Info
- 18 February 2023|Cardano Campus Meetup - Ghana Edition #1 More information
- 24 February 2023|Empowering the Cardano Community in Africa: A Summary of the Febraury 24th Catalyst Africa Town Hall. More Information
- 25 February 2023|Cardano Meetup in Taiwan. More Information
- 27 February 2023|Hong Kong Cardano meetup making a comeback? More Information
Recently held Ambassador Calls
- 23 February 2022 Open Meetup Organizer Call
- 22 February 2022 Open Content Creator Call
- 20 February 2022 Open Translator Call
- 16 February 2023 Monthly Ambassador Call
Bi-weekly CIP editor Meeting on Discord
Are you interested in attending CIP editor meetings? Join the Discord channel to learn more about this interesting community where ideas and recommended changes are all discussed.
What happened in CIPs last week? (by @RyanW)
CIP-??? | First class errors / Make Plutus pure [New Proposal]:
- This proposal suggests making error a first-class value within Plutus.
CIP-??? | Native Asset Policy Registration/Information Certificates [New Proposal]:
- This proposal defines a method for attaching off-chain metadata to native asset minting policy.
CIP-0070? | Add rejected CIP for spending policies:
- This proposal stands to explain why allowing native tokens on Cardano to have a spending policy in addition to their minting policy is an idea that should be rejected.
CPS-01 | Metadata Discoverability and Trust:
- This problem statement aims to illustrate the problem of the discovery and trust for off-chain metadata.
- This is a common problem area for Blockchain systems.
- CIP Editors Meeting #62:
- March 14th 9:30am UTC.
- Postponed from 02.28
- Held on Discord - here.
- Agenda TBD.
Weekly CIP updates can be followed and reviewed here:
How does ADA scarcity relate to Cardano security and governance?
Every Cardano supporter knows that there will only be 45,000,000,000 ADA coins. ADA is a scarce resource. For many, it is a store of value or the money of the future. The immutability of monetary policy is a fundamental principle for any blockchain. If it were to be violated, it would have policy may be necessary as one possible solution. The choice between security or scarcity is a dilemma that would be very uncomfortable for the community. Is it possible to
have a long-term economically sustainable blockchain without having to change scarcity? What mechanisms prevent a change in the monetary system and why is governance important?
- Monetary rules can exist forever, no matter what technology is used to enforce and maintain them.
- In order of importance, rules come first, community second, and technology third.
- Maintaining scarcity essentially means making a key decision in times of crisis and changing the protocol in time.
- Scarcity can only be sustained economically in the long run through a sufficient security budget.
- Those who are able to manage resources more efficiently have a better chance of survival.
- The choice between scarcity and security is a choice that the community does not want to have, as they may not agree on a solution.
- All ADA holders together are responsible for both security and scarcity.
How to maintain scarcity?
Change is the only constant we can completely rely on in our universe. This is doubly true for technological progress. Blockchain protocols have the ambition to exist for several decades, perhaps forever. People are not interested in a particular protocol in terms of its design, implementation, or technological maturity, but mainly because of the financial and social opportunity it brings. They want monetary policy, decentralization and its associated features, protocol security, the ability to connect people without third parties, etc. to remain unchanged. Unfortunately, this cannot (very likely) be achieved without changing the protocols and their specific properties. Negative developments may force a change in rules that were intended to remain unchanged forever. To ensure the security of the protocol, it may be necessary to change monetary policy.
Cardano will only have 45,000,000,000 ADA coins forever. This is a rule that can remain in effect forever regardless of how the protocol and possibly other less important rules change. A change in technology may not have a direct impact on the rules. Rules can exist forever, no matter what technology is used to enforce them.
More important than the protocol is the community that expects and oversees the immutability of the rules. In order of importance, rules come first, community second, and technology third.
The scarcity of ADA coins must be preserved forever. At the same time, Cardano must be a secure protocol. One cannot exist without the other. Scarcity cannot be maintained unless Cardano is wellsecured and decentralized. The community, together with the team, is responsible for ensuring that a sufficient security budget is in place. If Cardano does not have enough ADA coins to reward staking pool operators (SPOs) and stakers, it may run into existential problems. Of course, with the eventual demise of the protocol, the monetary rules and ADA coins also cease to exist. That is, assuming the rules could not be transferred to another protocol or medium. Is that even conceivable?
No one can say in advance what problems blockchain protocols will face in the future. The only certainty we have is that some problems will arise. It is very likely that we will see a security budget problem sooner or later. That’s why we believe the community is more important than the technology (protocol). The community has to decide how to deal with any problems and how to possibly change the protocol, hopefully keeping the monetary rules unchanged.
You might think that the following order is possible. Rules first, protocol second, and community third.
This order could be interpreted to mean that the protocol does not need any major changes and can exist forever as is. That is, both the rules and the protocol will be preserved. The community is in the position of consumers….
For the full article, visit source: https://cexplorer.io/article/how-does-ada-scarcity-relate-to-cardano-security-and-governance
Spotlight for Community-built Tools
The Developer Portal was created to foster a home for developers who are dedicated to building tools and services on Cardano. The platform allows developers to not only collaborate on projects but also to showcase their works.
The Developer Portal aspires to become a credible source where users can search for tools to fit their needs.
Community projects already running on mainnet are encouraged to add their projects to the Developer Portal.
- Koios Api Python package: The Koios Api python package allows interrogating the Cardano blockchain using https://api.koios.rest/. It has pagination and retry in case of errors.
We value your feedback, and would love to learn how you experienced reading our Community Digest. Please take a few seconds to provide feedback:
Many thanks, and greetings from the Community Team!