Cardano Community Kiva lending team

Yes that was great to see Chris! :grinning:

Up to date stats: $11,775 lent by 40 members in 393 loans to borrowers in 56 countries.

Join us here! :smile:

1 Like

Cool!!! I havent see this projekt!! I ve start to share kiva.org

1 Like

Hi everyone!

Our Kiva team has grown substantially and we are just about to pass the 100 members mark, this milestone will be reached after having loaned over $20,000 together as a team through 673 micro loans :tada:

There are 3 pool owners that have supported our team and hopefully we can inspire more to join.

We have made loans to people in 60 countries! That is awesome!

We have contributed throughout the last year and a half of the pandemic and likely have made a huge impact for someone during that time.

Thank you everyone for the joy this team brings to me and I hope to others, one step at a time we can surely make this world better than how we found it :slightly_smiling_face:

The image below shows in green the countries we have impacted together :handshake:

Happy lending friend’s! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

3 Likes

This is an inspiring project. I have just joined the team on Kiva and it appears that I’m the 101st team member (counting the captain as a member)! So here we go, we are more than 100 members now!!!

With @comozo, I co-manage Sadaka which runs a Stake Pool called Africa: Non-Discrimination, Education and Women Empowerment (ANEW).
We donate 40% of our operating returns and lend another 20% through Kiva. More details about what we do can be found on our website (https://www.anew.sadaka.io/our-mission).

We are very proud of joining the Cardano Community Kiva lending team and we are looking forward to contributing to our common endeavour.

Happy Lending…

Hi All,

Does anyone now if Charles has joined our Kiva lending team here on the forum?

I know that he generously lends at the end of his AMAs. It would be awesome to have aboard our little group.

Cheers,
D

Hi Kiva lending team,

We have just completed three more loans, and a donation to CAMFED (do check them out, they do a wonderful work).

Thank you

1 Like

I made a video for Ergo Raffle and launched a Raffle for the Cardano Lending team, wish me luck! and share it in your circles, pretty sure the same style of raffle will work on Cardano very soon.

1 Like

The Raffle was funded and the payout will be in approx 3 days, suggestions welcome on best path to distribute the funds on Kiva, 100 ergs will be converted to dollars, if conversion happened today that would be over $1500 dollars so I am not sure if I should fully fund a borrower or to loan to many.

1 Like

I exchanged 110.5 Erg’s that were crowd sourced by using beta.ergo.raffle.

100.5 were raised through the raffle and 10 were donated by twitter user @ClayrgoNauts

Thank you to everyone who contributed.

The exchange was to USDT and after fee’s the amount is $1937.27

I then sent it to my coinbase account for a fee of 22 USDT = $1915.21 sent

Sold the USDT for $$s for a fee of $28.40 = $1877.81

Sent funds to my bank account with no fee.

$575.00 loaned on Kiva 9-16-21

Please feel free to advise me on what loans on Kiva I should put the rest of the funds towards, I will listen. :blush:

2 Likes

Excellent. . .

2 Likes

Always appreciate your contributions, Chris!

There are so many good causes on Kiva. I don’t have suggestions for any fund in particular - just a general note to say I think it’s cool to completely fund (or finish funding) an initiative as opposed to just giving a little bit to a ton of projects. That way you can make a more direct impact on specific individuals.

2 Likes

Great work Chris - -thanks.
I’m just getting involved with Kiva – inspired by this approach to uplifting each other.
Will get back here on which loans could be candidates.

2 Likes

(this is cross-posted from Erg forum, OP dated 10-2-2021)
Since 9-16-21 I have made 52 loans on the Kiva platform at a total cost of 1,301.97 as I decided to donate a small amount to Kiva so they can continue to facilitate borrowers in obtaining their goals through the Kiva platform the math is going to look a little strange.
This brings the donation’s to $1876.97 that were developed through the Ergo Raffle for the Cardano Community Kiva Initiative.

Owed $1.16 to fulfill my obligations, when I sat down to make this update I believed I had met my obligations, my calc’s were wrong so I will soon be making another loan to ensure all the fund’s gained through the raffle are distributed where they were meant to go.

*Note (edit): Final loan of $25 made on 10-5-2021, all ErgoRaffle proceeds have been lent out on Kiva.

Forward Strategy.
As I work on Ergo–Lend and a similiar solution on Cardano, my thoughts are that as these loans are repaid on Kiva I will transfer them to the blockchain solution I am so excited to see succeed, I will be seeking advice and feedback from the community on just how exactly to distribute these funds and the traceability of them as they were crowdsourced and will be moving from one platform to another.

-if- Ergo-Lend is not succesful than as these Kiva loans are repaid the funds will be reloaned to new borrowers on that platform.

2 Likes

Seeking feedback.

I have payments being returned on Kiva now and at the same time I am anticipating being capable of using ErgoLend in the next 60 days, should I relend my Kiva credit or should I allow the repayment balance to grow and lend on ErgoLend?

My first loan on ErgoLend is likely be to a Cardano Enthusiast and contributor that is involved in the ABCD project in Nigeria and has partnered with the ErgoLend team to see its success as a microfinance blockchain solution that is multi-platform/crosschain lending solution to solve some of the problems in the world with microfinance that has truly been a hindrance in their country.
With this in mind please advise me on how to move forward, I would like to use the funds for ErgoLend as I have lately learned the average cost to borrowers on the Kiva platform is greater than 30% interest, and I believe the ErgoLend platform will allow for less of a burden on a borrower.

Let me know.

Hey mate,

Not sure which platform is best but 30% sounds outrageous (especially when I thought loans on Kiva were interest free…).
I see this team writes about it in detail and it looks like Kiva disclose this but not 100% upfront about it -

In the end I guess it’s about trust, surprise surprise. I feel inclined not to finance the field partners, but that could be an ignorant attitude on my part.

One option is to use direct Kiva loans or similar where you find interest/profitability of lender is acceptable.
More to the point - I would say that I trust your discretion, and will be happy to learn your rationale as it unfolds. Picking a decentralized option may sound better on paper, but that could be just because we have less data there to judge.
In your specific suggestion it sounds like you have plenty of data about the venture - so again it comes down to the trust & faith you have in the project.

I would prefer to send my money where it would have the most impact - and honestly that’s very hard to predict or even quantify - so I try to do the best I can without spending too much energy on self inspection. At some point I find it becomes counter productive.
:purple_heart::four_leaf_clover::money_with_wings:

1 Like

The ErgoLend project is getting close and with there being no objections I will plan to move the funds in my account from Kiva to the ErgoLend platform and will aim to fund Cardano Community-associated projects :slight_smile:

1 Like

@Eystein_Hansen I would like to discuss giving you a captain position on the Kiva team, would you be willing to take that position?
I think Kiva is still a great platform, and it also is a great place for people to contribute to changing the world by working in an environment they are familiar with, would be a shame if I get hit by a bus or something and there is no other Captain of the team.

1 Like

I think new and more efficient platforms such as ergolend potentially will be more efficient than Kiva and would like to support such efforts. For the time beeing Kiva and such platforms seem to have a role to play as it lowers barrierer to entry.

I will consider your offer Chris as the landing team for Cardano was one of the reasons I got inspired to contribute myself. Feel free to DM me what is expect in commitments and work in new role so I can make a better assesment if I should say yes.

In general I am inclined to accept as I am honored to be part of the team. Also Chris please dont get hit by any bussen :slight_smile: I look forward to see what you create with Ergolend.

3 Likes

Please welcome @Eystein_Hansen and @adatainment to the role of Team Captain for our Kiva Lending Team. :clap: :clap:
The addition of these members to the position will ensure the team remains online and available to others that would like to join us in making an impact in the world where it matters.

3 Likes

Thank you @Chris_Ray and good luck.

2 Likes