Comparison of Block Explorers

Hi all,

since I found that they give quite different detail infomation, I made an overview comparison between the different block explorers:

explorer.cardano.org

• Stake key: This is only browsable after there was a withdrawal (some transaction with the staking key as input). For active stake keys without a withdrawal, the explorer just says “not found”. There is no link to the registration and the link to the deregistration is rather implicit. The rewards (pool rewards as well as instantaneous rewards) come out of nowhere. We cannot see a breakdown by epoch or anything. The 57 character key that is used by, e.g., Cardanoscan and PoolTool to identify stake keys is not given, only the Bech32 address with “stake” at the beginning.
  • Stake key registration and deregistration: All relevant numbers are there, but layout could make clearer which sums are the same (input=output+deposit+fee for registration, input including reward withdrawal+deposit=output+fee for deregistration). For the registration, we cannot see which stake key was registered and to which pool it was delegated. For the deregistration, we can only conclude the stake key as the one, where the rewards come from.
  • Instantaneous reward transaction: For the instantaneous reward transactions, we cannot see that they result in lots of rewards distributed to stake keys.
  • “Normal” address: In contrast to most other block explorers, we cannot see to which stake key/account the address belongs to. Which addresses belong to a stake key is also not visible from the stake key. The 115 character key that is used by, e.g., Cardanoscan to identify addresses is not given, only the Bech32 address with “addr” at the beginning.

cardanoscan.io

• Stake key: Explicit links to registration and deregistration as well as to the pools are there. The pool rewards come out of nowhere, but links to the instantaneous rewards (distributed to Catalyst voters, I think) are there. (Although, in this case, one of these rewards was not added to my rewards total, as far as I can see from other sources, and I cannot identify which of the two with the same value.) Nevertheless, it’s still impossible to understand, where the rewards total came from, without the details of the pool rewards.
  • Stake key registration and deregistration: The deposit is implicitly subtracted from the inputs at registration and added to the inputs at deregistration. Information about the fee is there, but layout could make clearer that it is responsible for the difference between total input and total output. The details about the registered stake key and the chosen pool are there.
  • Instantaneous reward transaction: We can see all the stake addresses getting instantaneous rewards, but not where these funds came from.
  • “Normal” address: Detailed information about the corresponding stake key is given directly as a separate box. The links to all other addresses belonging to this stake key are part of the information.
  • The ads (even as buttons in the content boxes) are a bit annoying.

adastat.net

• Account: AdaStat separates a notion of “account” (identified by the 57-character keys) from the notion of “stake key” (identified by the Bech32 keys with “stake” at the beginning), where rewards statistics, delegation history and associated keys are shown on the account page, while only the transactions are given on the stake key page. Unfortunately, the rewards statistics are gone in this example, since I have deregistered this account from staking (moving to a hardware wallet). In another example account, which is still active, we can see the rewards per epoch.
  • Stake key: The stake key transactions show the instantaneous rewards, but in my example there are only two, where CardanoScan shows four. More troubling is that AdaStat still reports funds on this key, while all other explorers and Yoroi and Daedalus say that it is empty. For the stake key of the still active account, we see that the detailed information about the rewards per epoch are also there (but went missing for my account when deregistering).
  • Stake key registration and deregistration: At registration, the deposit is implicitly substracted, while at deregistration, the returned deposit minus the transaction fee is given as the “Amount” of the transaction, which seems a little inconsistent. (For “normal” transactions, the amount seems to be the value going to addresses that are not in the same account or something like that.) Links to the pool delegated to and the affected stake key are there.
  • Instantaneous reward transaction: The rewards distributed to the stake keys are not visible.
  • “Normal” address: Links back to the account it belongs to. The 115 character key that is used by, e.g., Cardanoscan to identify addresses is not given, only the Bech32 address with “addr” at the beginning.

adapools.org

• Stake key: There are no links to registration deregistration or to the addresses belonging to this stake key. The reward information is empty, since the key is not active anymore. For active keys, there are links to the addresses of the corresponding wallet and a per epoch rewards statistics.
  • Stake key registration and deregistration: The deposit is given in both, but no indication (other than the difference between input and output) if it is substracted or added, the reward withdrawal in deregistration is not mentioned and the Ada seem to come out of nowhere. There are no links to the affected stake key or the pool delegated to. Reports the already withdrawn rewards as current balance, which is at least misleading.
  • Instantaneous reward transaction: The rewards distributed to the stake keys are not visible.
  • “Normal” address: Links back to the stake key it belongs to. The 115 character key that is used by, e.g., Cardanoscan to identify addresses is not given, only the Bech32 address with “addr” at the beginning.
  • All values are rounded to two decimal places (10000 Lovelace) in the main presentation and four decimal places (100 Lovelace) in tooltips, while all other explorers give exact values. At least the tooltips should be exact.
  • The ads (even as buttons in the content boxes) are a bit annoying.

pooltool.io

• PoolTool seems to not be a full block explorer. I did not find any information about transactions or “normal” addresses, “only” detailed statistics for pools and stake keys.
  • Stake key: Detailed overview of the rewards per epoch is given including ROS calculation and value in a choosable fiat currency (although the method for finding the exchange rate is not really documented).
  • They still report rewards for 2021-11-11 and even project further rewards, although I (foolishly) deregistered before that to move to another wallet.
  • “Please note that due to how we calculate rewards you may see some minor differences between daedalus and pooltool.io.” sounds a bit discouraging. They are calculating themselves instead of looking in the blockchain what actually happened?
  • Tables can be downloaded as CSV.
  • Values are rounded to three decimal places (1000 Lovelace) in the main view, but exact values are given as tooltips and in the downloads CSV files.

Summary
AdaStat seems to have the most comprehensive information, but the inconsistencies to the others (and my wallets) seem very troubling.
If I need a detailed reward overview per epoch (e.g., for tax purposes), PoolTool seems the way to go, since it is the only one not losing this information on deregistration, although it does not have instantaneous rewards at all and might report rewards that did not arrive due to deregistration.
None of the block explorers reports, where fees are going and how they are redistributed to the pools/stakes. All of them are somehow incomplete and/or inconsistent on the instantaneous rewards (if they handle them at all).

Seems as if I have to install cardano-db-sync and dig into that myself. These information have to be on the blockchain persisted forever. Otherwise, we couldn’t be sure about the correctness of the process. It’s the whole idea of blockchains, isn’t it?

1 Like