Computer Time Out of Sync Error Appeared: Got me worried about possible geo-tagging of my node by Daedalus

A red screen flashed out from Daedalus when I started it today, it says like “Daedalus won’t run if your computer local time is out of sync for 15 secs or more.” So upon seeing it, I then configured my regional settings to update based from internet, and the problem got resolved (after Daedalus restart). Now, I post this matter, not really to ask for technical help, but to raise the question of whether this process in Daedalus to force you to set the computer’s time, is an element for timestamping transactions in Cardano. Can someone in Cardano development confirm this? I just worry that Daedalus maybe geotagging my node (because timezone and time was forced to be set), which will be bad for privacy. I am curious why process to check local time has to be done in a Cardano node, comparing it to when running a Bitcoin Core node, where there is no such checking process as far as I know.

1 Like

Its not about your local timezone, its about having time in sync. Ouroboros (pre-chronos) is a time-based protocol and depends on the node being in sync with the global clock, there is no geo tagging or reporting any of your node identity happening behind the scenes :slight_smile:

OK. Thanks for making it to the point about Ouroborus. It is fine as long as no node identity collection that is happening, but maybe it is worth considering it as a possible attack entry point especially when the time comes we will be tackling privacy of transactions of Cardano in the future.

Not sure what the concern is - transaction does not include your private node details.
But yes it’s supposed to change in future - hence, my reference to pre-chronos :slight_smile:

1 Like

A correct time stamp is required for the correct operation of the ouroboros protocol. It needs the correct time to validate that the signing key that forged and signed a block was actually the valid signing key for that time slot.

It is however fine to set the timezone of your node to UTC.

1 Like

Yes, there is no problem if there is “NO” private node details. But what if there is? How am I suppose to know that?.. am not part of cardano software development team. Now assuming there is! - let’s say that transactions are tagged with timezone information, then transactions on the blockchain can easily identify your node if your in Asia, in M.East or America. With a smaller area to search within, a simple detective work could eventually determine who and where your node is located. That’s what bothers me as a node operator if that is the case.

Also, for clarification: By pre-chronos, do you mean current Daedalus implementation is not yet “Chronos”? (I browse through the technical paper of Ouroborus Chronos which seems intended to be integrated to POS protocol)

let’s say that transactions are tagged with timezone information

They are not. Txs are inserted into blocks and the blocks are time stamped.

Block are stamped with UTC time information.

1 Like

Sorry but thats a pretty weak argument, you start with a false assumption.

The code is in public (you don’t have to be part of the software development team), the binary block format is in public to be read.
You can opt to check transaction details if you’d want to.

Yes, currently what you’re using is Ouroboros BFT and soon (in August) it will be moving to Praos. Chronos will be part of future implementation.

OK. That’s good to know. Its the basic implementation for a blockchain, I guess (I don’t need to worry that Cardano blockchain works differently).

If it is a false assumption, then best to leave the argument already. As I will be taking your word for it (your explanation that there is no node identity information collection), it no longer makes sense for me to worry on this process of Daedalus.