Daedalus syncing blocks takes a very long time

Still not fixed as of today

I went for an hour walk and only had about 0.5 % added so from 99.1 to 99.6 basically.

It also depends on your hardware and your internet connection. You might want to use a light wallet like Yoroi or Adalite if its to slow for you.

Anyway performance updates for Daedalus will come in the near future.

Yep same here

Any updates on this? Takes about an hour or longer every time I open to get from 99.5% to complete the ā€œsync of balance and transaction history with the blockchainā€. Is light wallet a better option right now?

Next version is very much better, code currently being tested in Daedalus Flight, Mainnet will come any day now I believe.

IMO light wallet is always a better option for anyone who has no particular reason to use a full node.

I updated to 2.2.0 and have seen significant improvement. The wallet took about 10 seconds to connect to the network and syncing was much much faster. Thank you for all your hard work!

I am not able to get this Daedalus Sync even after a whole dayā€¦ It was stuck at 97% yesterday and today since morning its at 67%

Make sure you have your seed, if you do please uninstall Daedalus via that guide : Uninstall Daedalus ā€“ IOHK Support and reinstall it after.

Cheers
Fabian

Using Daedalus 3.1.0 on a 1GB connection itā€™s taken 7.5 hours so far to sync 90.83% of the blockchain. Is this normal?!

Is your system heavily loaded or have low memory? On an unloaded Linux system with 8G of ram I see it sync in about 2 hours.

Iā€™m using less than half of a 2TB HDD and I have 32GB of RAM. Windows 10 Pro, but stillā€¦ even 2 hrs on a Linux system seems bonkers.

Full disclosure, Iā€™m an independent, low-level investor/software engineer researching the coins available. I donā€™t know what average times for this kind of thing are. I HODL a little ETH and Iā€™m looking into Stellar Lumens and Cardano as potential additions to my portfolio. One thing Iā€™m noticing is that there are transaction fees for everything and the information about investing in Cardano is as decentralized as the ADA itself. So I guess what Iā€™m asking is are these wait times normal amongst other blockchain syncing processes?

Bear in mind youā€™re downloading the entire blockchain. Itā€™s a long time since I did it from scratch but using an HDD, that seems credible to me. It was much worse in the past, before various aspects were optimized. SSDs seem to make a significant difference. Many people prefer to use a light wallet such as Yoroi.

1 Like

Yeah, Iā€™d seen that. My understanding was that the network health was better with more people using the Daedalus wallet since it turns your PC into a node. Is that correct?

Youā€™ll probably get a better answer from someone else, I stopped trying to keep up with the technology a couple of years ago :grin:, but while weā€™re waiting my understanding is that Daedalus does not make a significant contribution. It is a very important quality of ā€œthe nodes that matterā€ (mainly, staking pools) that theyā€™re available 24/7 with better than 99% uptime.

2 Likes

Daedalus is a full node. That means it needs to download the whole block chain which contains data from 2017 to now. There are 242 full epochs, with each epoch having a maximum of 21600 blocks (pretty sure all have at least 20000).

This is still way better than BTC. Last time I synced the full BTC chain it was 10 hours or so. ETH would be significantly worse.

If you do not want to download the full chain then you should look at one of the ADA light wallets (which do not download the whole chain).

Does it need to re-download old epochs every time or is it just the initial download that takes a while?

The blockchain is downloaded once and stored on disk, so if it has downloaded the whole chain and you stop and restart it, it will not download the whole chain again, just the bits that are missing (which if it was only stopped for a couple minutes might be something like 10 blocks).

Ah, well thatā€™s a lot better than I thought. I was thinking it was going to take that long every time I launched it. In what format is the blockchain stored on the disk?