Do we have permission to dream big yet?

Can we start solving global problems soon? Anyone want to start thinking about how we are going to take on climate change? I know there’s some amazing stake pools running on renewable energy and contributing to great projects… But I’m wondering if we could use catalyst to start funding something really big… Or do we have to wait a few more years and focus on the small steps to get to that point? I’d love to see crypto communities working to really solve these big problems that national governments are failing to solve. All we need to do is create the right incentives. It’s all about incentives.

3 Likes

What do you mean by “the right incentives”?

1 Like

Step one is realizing you don’t need anyone’s permission! :grinning:

I’ve been thinking of some sort of alternative to Pay Day Lending.

The was a post from someone on Reddit that was looking to Cure ALS.

The bigger the dream the better lets get after it!

2 Likes

I have no idea lol! I thought Charles was going to figure that out for us ?
Jokes aside, we have an opportunity to re-engineer economic incentives to limit unwanted externalities, like carbon pollution, etc. Wozniak is working on something that looks interesting, but maybe not a cure-all (or ALS) https://efforce.io/
Also some good ideas coming from powerledger https://www.powerledger.io/about-us/

I’m wondering if anyone from the Cardano community is working on any big revolutionary climate solutions? I heard Charles mention carbon sequestration in the arctic or something like that… and I know Elon is trying to get something going with carbon capture… Elon Musk puts up $100M US for global carbon capture competition | CBC News

I can say that the wrong incentives would be ones that reward corporations financially when they can externalize as many costs of doing business as possible. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=orWQJJcoRiU

I would say that any big global challenge in front of us is complicated enough to not have one solution. We need to first realize that not the corporations, not the governments, but an interconnected system is the cause for what ails us today. In extension to that, I would argue that the solution is in our minds. Very recently Bill Gates urged people to start consuming artificial beef to help combat climate change. When most of climate change is a result of the meat industry, then one answer lies in our own behavior. Not everything should be solved in crypto-land. We should be daring enough to first look into the mirror. I believe massive change will be possible only after we can acquire profound insights from looking into our own internal construction of reality.

2 Likes

Very well said and I agree completely… however when I look in the mirror or into my own mind, I find a desire to contemplate big ideas and contribute in some small way to these big problems and big ideas. I want to be apart of the small changes that lead to big solutions… so I’m going to post my simple ideas and see if they can grow, with a little help from the hive mind of Cardano

1 Like

I have ideas if you wanna rip them apart/build 'em back up

3 Likes

Would love to hear whats on your mind :slight_smile:

I’m excited to hear today that tesla is accepting btc for payment of Tesla cars. That’s a huge step for the crypto industry, and I’m sure ada payments are not far behind. As a climate advocate, I’ve been eager to replace my dirty old truck with a tesla, but I could never dream of affording one. So I bought a little ada instead. Now I could afford one if I sell my ada, but I don’t want to sell it lol. Tough first world problems…

Ada may just give me the opportunity to live offgrid with a solar system and an electric truck. Dreams are coming true for so many in the Cardano community.

1 Like