Does the Air Gap (Cold) Machine also require Full Installation and Configuration?

Block Producing node is set-up on Ubuntu on Google Cloud.
Same for the Relay node.
The IP for each has been configured to point at the other.

Using the Coin Cashew guide: Guide: How to build a Cardano Stake Pool - CoinCashew

Have downloaded cardano-node and cardano-cli files from the BP node.

Do I need to install and configure “everything” (Cabal, GHC, Libsodium) on the “Cold” Machine the same way that I installed and configured both “Hot” VMs in order to create keys, etc?

Help appreciated.

Thanks!

It would be sufficient to run this single command

$ docker run --detach \
    -p 3001:3001 \
    -v node-data:/opt/cardano/data \
    nessusio/cardano-node run    

Your “cold” machine would of course have to be on the network to sync with the block chain. If your concern is related to CLI key handing, you could consider using a HW wallet for pledge and pool rewards.

Thanks for the suggestion Tom.

Cold machine is a Mac.

Do I need to install a full Cardano node on the Mac?

Are you suggesting that this should be entered at $ on the Terminal?

What is nessusio?

I’m running on a Mac as well. You will need to have Docker installed. Then, you can run a cardano node like described above.

nessus-cardano is the incubation space for #2360 - High quality multiarch docker images and k8s support.

The bare minimums to run a node is to install libsodium and copy cardano-cli and cardano-node. Since you only need the cardano-cli on the air-gapped, I’d guess all you need is installed libsodium and cardano-cli executable.
Tomdx might disagree on this one but keep away from docker unless you know how to avoid its security risks.

2 Likes

In a few years time, nobody will have to install libsodium any more, nor build cardano-node+cli, nor worry about the right version of the Haskell compiler + Cabal, nor have to install yet another process to keep the topology up to date, nor need to do all of that slightly differently on an ARM architecture - the future is looking bright :wink:

1 Like

Thanks for the suggestion Tomdx. I’ve tried the docker single command as you suggested using Mac OS Catalina 10.15.7 and it synched upto 85% but after that kept getting “Connection to node lost, retrying (N/3)”. I’ve tried doing ‘docker restart XYZ’ but no avail.

Any thoughts is much appreciated.

If I understand your question correctly, you are asking if you need to install anything else on the Cold machine to create the keys. Short answer is NO.

Actually you only need the Cardano-cli in your Cold machine. You don’t even need Cardano-node unless you are just copying it there as a “backup”.

Hope this helps.

1 Like

@j_illusions We would need to see the log to be able to say anything about that. Perhaps you like to a new topic about this.

Hello, I have the same problem. I already copied the cardano-cli file from my server to my cold machine but I don’t know how to install it or where to put it. I copied it to /bin and /usr/local/bin but the cardano-cli commands don’t work