We have been approached by some of you with regards to logo usage and choosing a name for your stake pool. We would like to clarify the following:
Cardano Foundation Trademark Policy:
In general, with regards to any sort of questions regarding the usage of our trademarks, please refer to our trademark policy (“Trademark Policy”).
Please note that manipulation of our trademarks of any kind constitutes a Trademark Policy violation. Therefore, stake pool operators can use the standalone logo without any alterations. It is acceptable to include our logo in a picture. However, our word marks or logos cannot be used in an untruthful or unfair manner, or in a way that may be considered derogatory, deceptive or misleading.
Stake Pool Name:
The words ‘Cardano’ or ‘ada’ can be included in a stake pool name. When choosing a name, please use common sense and do not use anything of an illegal, defamatory or humiliating nature, or anything else that may negatively impact the reputation of the Cardano Protocol, Cardano Code, or the Cardano Partners. Any kind of link between the Cardano Foundation and the stake pool cannot be suggested or implied—directly or indirectly—e.g. you are not allowed to mark it as “official” or similar. Any suggestion of being the best or the only ada stake pool can also not be suggested or implied at all.
Company Name / Domain Name:
As a general rule, you may not use or register, in whole or in part, the marks as part of your own trademark, service mark, domain name, company name, trade name, product name or service name in any part of the world.
With regards to the domain name, there is an exception to the rule: You are allowed to use the marks in a domain name that:
- is exclusively intended to support the Cardano Code and Project, provided it does not imply an official sponsorship or endorsement by the Cardano Partners;
- shows a creative expression (i.e. shows it is your own project) and
- strictly observes the Trademark Policy.
Examples, so it is easier for you to understand:
Allowed to use:
- Ada/Cardano + creative expression: e.g. adatainment, adaplanet
- A non-commercial website: howtoinstallcardano.xy, pourquoicardano.xy
Not allowed to use:
- Ada/Cardano + A country name, e.g. Adaswitzerland.xy, Adafrance.xy etc.
- Exaggerating resp. promoting it as being special:
- “Ada super stake pool” / adasuperstakepool.xy,
- “Awesome Ada stake pool” / awesomeadastakepool.xy,
- “Best Ada stake pool” / bestadastakepool.xy etc.
- Claiming to be an “official” stake pool: “Official Ada stake pool” / officialadastakepool.xy
For all other uses of our logo and trademarks the existing Trademark Policy applies. If you have any questions, please contact us: firstname.lastname@example.org
Please note that we are currently updating our Trademark Policy. We plan to add more examples in order to make it easier to understand. It will, however, take some time to finalize the document. Your kind patience is appreciated.