How delegation works?

Let’s assume I delegate on ITN the same wallet to different pools. Is my understanding below correct?

Epoch 1: Delegate to pool A; No reward at the end of epoch.
Epoch 2: Delegate to pool B; No reward at the end of epoch.
Epoch 3: Delegate to pool C
Epoch 3: Delegate to pool D (same epoch as previous delegation, but later); Reward from pool A at the end of epoch.
Epoch 4: No delegation change; Reward from pool B at the end of epoch.
Epoch 5: No delegation change; Reward from pool D at the end of epoch.
Epoch 6: No delegation change; Reward from pool D at the end of epoch.

Looks right to me…

3 Likes

Does this mean the rewards calculation is based on a snap shot of the stake distribution at the exact last moment of an epoch?

In the example above, if during epoch 3, instead of re-delegating my ADA I sold my ADA, who collects the reward at the end of epoch 5? Is it me, or is it the person who bought my ADA?

When I sell the ADA is there a mechanism that will notify the buyer that the purchased ADA is currently staked?

Good question @AllisonFromm! There is no such notification and this is also not needed, because the delegation of ada is tied to a specific wallet. If you sell your ada then you will have to transfer it out of your (delegated) wallet.

That means no one collects the rewards for that when it comes to that epoch. (But of course the new wallet may already have a delegation)

So is it correct to say that in order to receive a reward, an ADA holder must leave their ADA in a pool for at least one full epoch?

In other words, the protocol and the pool cannot force delegated ADA to stay in a particular pool. But if the ADA holder does not voluntarily leave delegated ADA in a particular pool for at least one full epoch, no rewards will accrue for that ADA?

I thought it was possible to delegate to more than pool. Is that correct? If so, would multiple wallets then be needed if delegation is tied to a specific wallet?

Yes that is correct.

Yes that is correct. (it is worth to mention that “undelegate” usually does not make sense, you simply switch the delegation and you will not lose any rewards)

In the ITN this was not yet possible with an easy to use GUI wallet, but this will be possible in the mainnet. It works with a wallet weighting like 2/4 goes to pool A, 1/4 to pool B and 1/4 to pool C.

1 Like