HTC Exodus - "Switzerland of Protocols"

From the HTC EXodus page:

https://www.htcexodus.com/index.html

"The Switzerland of Protocols

Working with multiple protocols with the intent of interoperability between blockchains."

If I may flatter ourselves, I think they are talking about Cardano/ADA here :slight_smile:

If they aren’t, then I would highly encourage Cardano to contact them as soon as possible.

As the SIRIN Labs’s solution does not seem to me the right one (expensive, no penetration, own OS etc).
I have seen a lot of phone projects (followed them deeply) to fall and I can see similar (would say exact) symptons in SIRIN’s project to those fallen ones.

You’re reading my mind :slight_smile:

Thanks for heads up @MartinMKD. Just to clarify, does this mean that HTC Exodus will likely be using the Cardano network?

I don’t know - the implication was wishful thinking on my part.

The page say’s it wants every phone to be a node for bitcoin and ethereum, I wish they were working on something for Cardano but it doesn’t look like it to me.

That’s mostly marketing drivel… Being a “bitcoin/ethereum” node to me means you’re either mining - not really usable on a battery powered device - or they mean you’re some sort of a hardware wallet with your private bits pushed out onto a secure element, sort of like what the case is with EMV chips on your debit/credit cards now - one never sees the private keys unless you’re in possession of microscopes/lasers that can penetrate a secure element without destroying it and poaching its private keys that way, assuming you know what you’re even looking at if you get to that point… and the way you transact with this element is via compulsory/hardware enforced APIs… which then send out codes that extrapolate off your private keys up to a less secure channel like the internet to further complete any payment tx. That’s kind of my best guess, and there already is hardware like this on existing/newer phones that can do touchless/RFID payments… at least Qualcomm Snapdragon has it, just can’t recall its funky name now… secure enclave something or other.

So either they’re just repackaging / renaming existing tech… or maybe they have developed something of their own, proprietary and hidden and MOST likely demonstrably worse than Cardano/Ouroboros as their “swiss knife.” The only caveat to this logic is now that HTC’s mobile division is owned by Google, there’s a possibility that this swiss knife protocol is a Google concoction… which might be technologically sound, but unlike Cardano, Google’s motives aren’t as altruistic, given their size and now assuredly duplicitous “do no evil” motto… which they seemed to have abandoned in pursuit of the mighty buck and their self-congratulatory, “I wanna be like Apple” attitude…which they didn’t at first, which is when they were cooler. It seems for as long as they were beholden to Linux, which propped them up into the stratosphere phone wise, they preserved their geeky/do no evil image…

Now they’re fixing to abandon Linux in lieu of Fuchsia, and about the only good thing that will come of that is probably we get to run unmodified Play store apps while the backend is swapped out with a microkernelized OS. They could’ve picked seL4 for it, but they still suffer from NIH syndrome in addition to having a desire to control everything. The funny thing about control is, the more you think you’re in control, the firmer the grip on you becomes by outside forces. This is counter to the entire OSS, linux, unix, gnu, hacker culture, which understands the need for wanting to make a living from the fruits of your labor but whose primary focus isn’t controlling or dominating but rather serving, sharing and collaboration.

Which is precisely why everyone who runs anything with the name server in it on the net loves and is beholden to Linux and that bloody “commie” GPLv2 license which corporations love to hate while they also love to bank on…

I’m not that expert fot BTC and ETH but I know that one of the main Android and IOS guidelines (if not rules) for app developement is to save power. No unnecessary background activity, no long lasting cpu intensive tasks.
And also from the plain logic point of view: if these devices should become full nodes they would need terabyte(s) of local storage, and I can’t imagine how the user should be able to use it for one work day without multiple rechargings.
What do I miss on this story?

The other thing that sort of occurred to me, speaking of “bitcoin/ethereum” nodes, are they possibly talking about an overlay network on top of ETH or BTC that they (e.g. Google) are working on? Beats me. I’m really dying to find out tho… “Swiss knife protocol”… here I am betting all in on Ada being that, and HTC now beats us to it :slight_smile:

I think the statement is a little confusing, I can’t imagine a phone running as a BTC node.

I like how this sounds, in the past I have been a fan of HTC, would be awesome if they come up with something using Cardano that put’s an emphasis on interoperability.
Would not surprise me if a company moved forward at this point and incorporated the open source work IOHK has done, really the amount of work that has been done and backed up by peer review would give any company a head start - plus as the work continues it would remain open source and also be usable, I would prefer they use the Cardano network, but if they just use the code it would still give Cardano credibility (not that it needs help on that front)
@MartinMKD Is google really working on decentralized Dapps? It sounds funny that google could enter this arena, we will see.

I thought I read somewhere that the IOHK team had recently met up with Google. So I looked this up… not sure if it’s legit or just click bait.

Charles tweeted about it:

Thanks @vantuz-subhuman. That’s good to know.

Just FYI etherium is planning on going to a proof of stake. But you probably knew that

I heard… CASPER. It’s been in the works for a while.

I heard Vlad joined the board of rchain coop to implement it there. Definitively easier than replacing a running system of PoW miner junkies