List of port numbers for all Daedalus processes?

Hi,
Does any one have a complete list of port numbers used by Daedalus? Including all the cardano-node ports and the FrontEnd ports?

Thanks,
Rick

Edit: Here are the ports I have so far…
TCP 3000
TCP 8090
TCP 43689
UDP 43
UDP 53
UDP 123
UDP 8090
UDP 43689

what am I missing?

1 Like

Why do you need them?

1 Like

Pal, I got them all.

I needed them to open the ports in a hardened firewall that a couple of guys are using on their network.

What is funny is that their Daedalus wallets would say “Connecting to network…” and never connect.

Then I got 3 of the ports open (surgically, not raw opened) and their Daedalus wallets started to update and froze and “Syncronizing 100%”.

Then lastly I got the UDP port open for ntp and finally their wallets opened perfectly. So there is a good chance that most people’s wallet issues are not caused by the wallet, but by ports blocked by their firewall, ISP, or AV software.

It would be so cool if Daedalus would show the port numbers it uses in green that are connected and on red for the ones not connected.

2 Likes

I don’t have more then you already listed.
If you transform your topic to a wiki I can add some descriptions, in order to create one piece (list) of information instead of a dozen of comments.

In the meantime ma look at this. No new port but some more information about his functionality

2 Likes

I like the idea of showing port number status in a diagnostic window.

Maybe Deadalus itself wouldn’t be able to show you issues the local node may have when connecting to the main nodes. This would require some diagnostic information given by the local node to Daedalus.

Anyway I would suggest that you tag the topic also with “featureRequest”

1 Like

Thank you @werkof for the ideas to wiki and tag with feature request. I think at boot time instead of showing “Connecting to Network…” if it would show the port numbers green and red, on that same screen, that would help.

I think on the of the persistent problems is that peoples networks and computer configuration are the real source of the problem and not Deadalus. But people keep blaming Daedalus because that is where they see the problem. So Daedalus gets a bad name as a “buggy” wallet when in fact it is a very good wallet with some pretty strict requirements. So if people know that the problem is caused external to Daedalus then they will be able to fix it quicker.

I run Ethereum Mist and I must say Daedalus is a bit nicer to work with.

2 Likes

@rickymac Would it be possible to post a step by step on how you did this on the forum? I’d love to have it for future reference.

1 Like

if you mean how to make a topic a wiki
if you created a topic you can click on the bottom right of first post like this

1 Like

Thanks @werkof. I was thinking more of how he opened up the ports on the firewall that were causing the issue(s). Not sure if this is too complicated because each scenario is different.

Very good idea. it would be information just in the right time on the right place. And in the best case directly linked to the regarding Daedalus FAQ support article.

I agree. … and also the lack of understanding that Daedalus currently it’s not just a (light) wallet but a special setup made for Byron phase where the wallet connects to a local node, who syncs the entire blockchain from main nodes.

2 Likes

I will make and artists rendition of what it could look like! :grin:

2 Likes

Chris @cdufour. Yes, I can make one, but each different manufacturer will be different. The one I am working on now for these two guys is a Fortigate firewall and it has a web page interface. But basically I had to:

1. Create the service line item for an application, in this case Daedalus, or any thing needing those ports.
  2. Apply the that service to the IPV4 policies.
  3. Apply some security profiles (which I probably overkilled with the ‘defaults’ because the defaults on that machine are pretty tight).

I forgot how to do this with the CISCO command line. I used to do it a long time ago but those skills are very rusty.

Here are some screen caps from the one I did yesterday. It may need some tweaks so I will go back and check it again. The screen caps are limited so as not to expose sensitive data.

Edit: any where the name Daedalus appears is just a name I put in. The other settings are built in selections.
Edit 2: the pictures are in reverse order. You have to build the service first, then apply it to the IPV4 Policy. Another way to do it, even better maybe, is to build static IPs in the ‘Address’ tab to the wallet and apply the policy to only the exact IP addresses who need it. But most people use DHCP on their home devices instead of building static IPs.

2 Likes

Thanks Rick. This is great. I really appreciate it, and it will be a good reference for anyone trying to trouble shoot connecting to network issues, or getting stuck on the sync.

1 Like

Ok @werkof here is an artists version of what the Daedalus boot screen could look like if it would display to the user that the ports have connected, with suggestions at the bottom. Maybe @tom.kelly @jonmoss have already thought of this. I know it is so easy to make a pretty picture but so much more difficult, expensive, and risky to actually write the software code required to do something like this. Just throwing a suggestion out there :slight_smile:

Edit: this is just graphic magic. Please nobody get the idea that Charles put this out on twitter, LOL.

5 Likes

I love it. Daedalus could have this pop up when one or more connections are not open. Else everything works as it does now.

10 ADA says someone reads this and tries to send a trouble ticket to www.techsupport.net. :joy:

In all seriousness, IOHK should integrate something like this into the wallet.

3 Likes

Perfect Chris. You nailed it. I thought the information on port numbers is overkill for the average user. So as long as the wallet is working correctly they would see normal, simple screens. Something like this would only be displayed if there is a malfunction.

@tom.kelly @jonmoss @maki.mukai

Ladies and Gents maybe you can push this up the flagpole to put in the suggestion box. I sure would like to read less Wallet comments and more about potential end uses for Cardano. This improvement could help achieve that. :slight_smile: Thanks!

3 Likes

You only need to open just the following for Daedalus (outgoing connections):

• 3000:TCP Kademlia to connect other nodes
  • 53:(UDP,TCP) DNS nowadays they use TCP either.
  • 123:UDP NTP
  • 443:TCP SSL onnection to Report server(s)

The others, such us 8090, 8000, 8100, just are opened locally.

4 Likes

Pal, you are correct. I edited the list to match what you said and Daedalus is good to go. Thanks!

2 Likes

@cdufour Hey Chris - noted! :slight_smile:

Thanks very much for all the feedback and information on this thread.

1 Like