Pre-upgrade problems

Trying a second time… So I attempted to upgrade my BP to Alonzo and the process became a serious mess - just one of those things better to roll back to the pre-upgrade image and take another shot at it.

So - rolled the AWS instance for the BP back - version 1.27.0 and having a couple errors - the important question would be - are these errors normal, considering the HF to Alonzo?

1. The BP is generating an error when I execute the gLiveView:

You do not have a cardano-cli binary available in $PATH.

ERROR: gLiveView failed to load common env file
Please verify set values in ‘User Variables’ section in env file or log an issue on GitHub

Haven’t received this error previously - not sure if something broke or if it might be the result of the rebooting of the BP (its been online for a couple months)

1. The Relays are putting out errors, in the journal, sample below attached.

2. Do we have any documentation on smoothly upgrading to Alonzo, to include updates to the gLive and tools?

Appreciate any advice and thanks in advance!

-Mike

1 Like

Versions of the node earlier than 1.30.1 cannot follow the Alonzo protocol upgrade.

So you are saying entirely new nodes have to be built from scratch? There is no path to upgrading the 1.26 to 1.30.1?

So you are saying entirely new nodes have to be built from scratch?

Yes.

There is no path to upgrading the 1.26 to 1.30.1?

What do you mean by “upgrade” here? You just need to build version 1.30.1 and then run it.

See here the upgrade path from 1.27.0 - 1.30.1:
https://www.coincashew.com/coins/overview-ada/guide-how-to-build-a-haskell-stakepool-node/how-to-update-a-stakepool

You need to build the latest binaries but there were some configuration related changes between those versions (not many) which you can figure out from the link above.

It shouldn’t be hard to do the update.

If you follow the link above accurately, you should be able to upgrade from 1.27.0 to 1.30.1 directly. However, you need to pay attention to the two extra steps below that are not mentioned in the guide:

1. You need to download alonzo genesis json file using:

wget -N https://hydra.iohk.io/job/Cardano/cardano-node/cardano-deployment/latest-finished/download/1/${NODE_CONFIG}-alonzo-genesis.json

1. You will face an issue where you will not be able to run ./startBlockProducingNode.sh or ./startRelayNode1.sh due to incorrect hash. You can fix that by editing the mainnet-config file (or testnet-config file, depends which one you’re using), and replacing the old hash with the new hash of alonzo genesis.

I upgraded a pool for my friend yesterday, and I had to do the above to make it work. Hopefully the guide will be updated to reflect those changes.

Hi @DevJohn the mentioned steps are part of the 1.29.0 upgrade description : )

1 Like