SPO Poll - Q3 2023 Setup Preferences: Answer 6 (None of the above)

I agree. Furthermore, there was an excellent discussion on this forum initiated by IOHK Quant @Colin_Edwards just over 1 year ago which resulted in 142 replies. Colin’s opinion, based on his expert quantitative analysis, was:

“The proposal that best adheres the initial specification of the minimum fixed fee, in my opinion, is to move the fee from 340 Ada to 30 Ada. This would reset the relative sensitivity of the variable fees and fixed fees back to their original levels, and it also closely matches the original fiat values of the fee, which was originally set to around $5.25 / day. That will not fully compensate pools, the intent was that the variable fee would be useful in more situations than just when demand for staking far exceeded the available capacity of stake pools.”

I can’t understand why Cardano Foundation chose a figure of 170 Ada for the minPoolCost or what quantitative analysis this decision was based upon.

I would prefer to see minPoolCost reduced to 30 Ada or even 0 but I think it is risky to vote option 6 (none of the above) due to vote fragmentation and the fact that this option provides little evidence of your intention. I think voting “none of the above” indicates only that you don’t like any of the options and therefore includes people that may want things to go the other way - IE. more centralised. Maybe there are some multi-pool operators that would actually like to see minPoolCost increased so that they can continue to run unsaturated pools and farm even more minPoolCost fees for profit. I would hope that is not the case, but who knows? I am just saying that voting “None of the above” could put you in the same bucket with these people.

1 Like