Update Cardano Node to 1.30.1 - for Coincashew users

Okay since it’s showing incorrect version for one of the binaries, let’s rebuild the files from scratch.
Run the following

cd $HOME/git
rm -rf cardano-node-2

Now we can start from step 1.

Before your rebuild, what are your system specs and do you know what may have happened initially to cause your system to stop?

It sounds potentially due to overload? What’s your RAM?

IT WORKS!!!
thanks much for help
many thanks!!

Congrats! :slight_smile: my pleasure

Hi there - this will be my first upgrade so apologies for any annoying basic question - reading the instructions it seems the original cardano node is only removed after you have downloaded the new one and you remove it (rm - rf cardano-node-old) and move it. a Couple of basic linux questions - when you copy the the new binaries accross to /usr/local/bin will they just overwrite the old cardano node?

And with the rm-rf cardano-node-old → for me that folder doesn’t exist so im presuming the step before that is to mkdir cardano-node-old?

Thanks for sharing…

1 Like

hey @map84 thanks for your question - I’m glad you are delving into tech. I was quite confused with Linux when I initially got into tech but you’ll get the hang of it once you navigate through it. To answer your questions:

1. Correct, when you copy the binaries over to your usr/local/bin - it will rewrite your old binaries (that’s why its best practice to make sure binaries are correct before copying them over - once you copy them over, your old binaries will disappear + unrecoverable if you’ve copied something wrong)

2. If the folder doesn’t exist, you do not need to worry about it. rm -rf is to remove the old folder so that we can “move” (mv command) the previous cardano-node folder to cardano-node-old

Thanks David.
I think for the sake of completeness, it would be good to include the instruction about updating the air-gapped offline machine (cold environment) with the new Cardano CLI binaries.

1 Like

Hello everyone,

I’m digging out this thread and specifically cruise’s bash error log in this post because I’m having the same error when trying to set up a clean-slate server w/ cardano node on Ubuntu20.4LTE using the instructions here: Installing cardano-node and cardano-cli from source | Cardano Developer Portal

On running the cabal config command, I’m running into problems with the following error (compare to cruises post)

HEAD is now at 1efbb276e SCP-2750: Removed types and functions in Ledger.Tx that were integrated in cardano-api instead. Updated cardano-node commit hash. (#4012)
Warning: Requested index-state 2021-09-15T00:00:00Z is newer than
'hackage.haskell.org'! Falling back to older state (2021-09-14T22:11:20Z).
Resolving dependencies...
Killed

I’ve tried all suggestions from this thread, including the rm -rf cardano-node-2 suggestion by DavidNC

Do you have an idea whats happening here?
Simon

Hi @DavidNC, do you maybe have an idea about my above error? Thanks a lot!

I think the Cardano Developer Portal may be slightly out of date or deprecated. If you are starting from scratch I would recommend following one of the guides available on the forum or externally.

I would recommend following one of Alex’s guides as they are quite comprehensive to say the least. Might want to check out the git checkouts to make sure your getting the latest repo

The Coincashew guide is also very straight forward and I believe it checks out the latest repo but best to double check.

Thanks @map84. I’ve tried the coincashew one but didn’t succeed. Will try with Alex’s one now, wasn’t aware of it. Thanks!