Vehicle registration on the blockchain

I posted this in the into section and thought it might be seen as more appropriate here:

I don’t really understand the blockchain and smart contracts.
This is my thought on just one of the possibilities for a smart app.

1. States develop an app that has smart contracts that are available to auto dealers and the public.
  2. New cars ownership is recorded on the blockchain via Vin number using the app all local info is recorded and taxes paid for using app
  3. As a consumer of the new car, I can turn around and sell the car to anyone using the app and having the registration and taxes paid for instantly through the sale if app sets it up that way.
    For example: the state of New York developed an app that uses the Cardano blockchain. The app is a registration App where automobiles, boats, property or whatever is registered.
    I purchase a new or used vehicle at a dealer, let’s say I’m not quite satisfied with the vehicle a year later. I don’t want to trade it in because dealer won’t give me the best price. So I sell it and easily transfer title ownership, and the pay taxes through the Ny state vehicle blockchain registration app, same app dealer used to register me instantly

If that is possible that would be awesome and save people a lot of money by not getting those horrible trade in prices from dealers and also not having registration headaches.
States would benefit by having accurate sales prices on secondary market for tax revenue purposes. Less paperwork to process.
I think dealers would benefit as people would likely have more money to upgrade to newer models.

Anyways please let me know if I’m way off in my thinking on how smart contracts and apps on blockchain could work.
(I know in this example you still have to tackle the issue of liens and bank ownership on title until vehicle is paid for many folks.)
Cheers
Vinnie

1 Like