Calculate-min-fee

Usin the CLI to compute-min-fee, I have:

cardano-cli transaction calculate-min-fee --tx-body-file /keys/tx.draft --tx-in-count 1 --tx-out-count 2 --witness-count 1 --byron-witness-count 0 --testnet-magic 1097911063 --protocol-params-file protocol.json
176721 Lovelace

My signed tx is 289 bytes and in the protocol.json file I have:

"txFeePerByte": 44,
"txFeeFixed": 155381

Therefore the fee computation that I would do is:

fee = 155381 + ( 289 * 44 ) = 168097 Lovelace.

How do you explain the over estimation of cardano cli?

1 Like

Interesting! A few weeks ago, there was also a case with inexplicably high fees (in Daedalus, but that uses cardano-node/cardano-cli internally):

Perhaps, we could look at the code if there is some bug in the minimal fee calculation.

Wow, indeed, if it is not unnecessary higher fees set by the user, then the code of cardano-cli has issues…

I am using:

cardano-cli --version
cardano-cli 1.30.1 - linux-x86_64 - ghc-8.10
git rev 0fb43f4e3da8b225f4f86557aed90a183981a64f

How are you calculating size of your tx? I grab the cbor string for my end and have to add 3 bytes each time as Im assuming the 3 extra bytes are added when you actually submit it.

Also noticing on adaex which is what I use sometimes to check roughly the size of the tx that their estimates are lower then what I actually have from my cbor for the signed tx

If you need a dependable tool to 1 3 random number generator, this is the one you should choose. Its algorithm of uniform distribution ensures a small margin of error, with each number appearing with the same probability.