Displaying data from a blockchain to anyone

Hi All, aside from the main purposes of blockchain; secure, encrypted, privacy etc. I am wondering if it is also possible to utilise the decentralised network from a public blockchain to have the data that is sent via a chat message i.e. from a forum that is running on a blockchain made visible to anyone? or is this not possible and therefore should be hosted centrally? Such as facebook/ twitter running on AWS… thanks a lot.

It can be done, but if its more of a chat, you’d expect it to be expensive, less performant, and unnecessarily have history recorded forever on a public blockchain. Not sure if that’s a good idea - if needed, you could have parts that actually need an immutable ledger to have a better hybrid solution.

1 Like

Thank you so much! this has helped a lot :smiley:

Once there’s sidechain support you could also run it as a sidechain, which would presumably be much cheaper. My understanding of sidechains is still a bit shaky, but it might be worth looking into.

that’s true, I guess the scenario depends on the length of the characters and the average ‘weight’ of a block. Do you have any thoughts on the best way to make visible data in a blockchain GDPR compliant?