How is a stake pool selected to mint a block? Slot Lottery Explained

Hello everybody!

Ever since I started my pool in February 2021, I have been trying to understand how the Cardano protocol works on many levels. One of the topics that intrigued me a lot, was the way the protocol determines which pool gets to mint a block (aka slot lottery and leaderlogs). As I was trying to figure this out I spoke with a lot of great and fun SPO’s and most of them didn’t know how it was done either.

With the help of Andrew (great mind behind CNCLI), some SPO buddies and this post, I think now I get it :smiley:

I used all the information provided to write a low-tech blog explaining how the slot lottery works. Please feel free to correct me! Peer review is a Cardano thing :smile:

How is a stake pool selected to mint a block? Slot Lottery Explained. (ada4good.com)

2 Likes

Well done, this is an excellent description. You may want to add that only the owner of the vrf.skey can run the lottery, but everybody can verify that a given pool could indeed have won that slot. This is the V in VerifiableRandomFunction.

1 Like