Should a core start with a different command vs a relay?

I’ve been using the coincashew guide: Guide: How to Set Up a Cardano Stake Pool - CoinCashew

When writing the start up scrips for the relay and cores I expected them to be different.
The guide says that the relay and a core with the following:

#!/bin/bash
DIRECTORY=$NODE_HOME
PORT=xxxx
HOSTADDR=0.0.0.0
TOPOLOGY=${DIRECTORY}/${NODE_CONFIG}-topology.json
DB_PATH=${DIRECTORY}/db
SOCKET_PATH=${DIRECTORY}/db/socket
CONFIG=${DIRECTORY}/${NODE_CONFIG}-config.json
/usr/local/bin/cardano-node run --topology ${TOPOLOGY} --database-path ${DB_PATH} --socket-path ${SOCKET_PATH} --host-addr ${HOSTADDR} --port ${PORT} --config ${CONFIG}
EOF

I guess I was expecting the core to have to start differently. (Including the KES, and pool.cert,…). I came across the below somewhere in the forum. I quoted the main difference below.

DIRECTORY=$NODE_HOME
PORT=XXXX
HOSTADDR=0.0.0.0
TOPOLOGY=${DIRECTORY}/{NODE_CONFIG}-topology.json DB_PATH=${DIRECTORY}/db SOCKET_PATH=${DIRECTORY}/db/socket CONFIG=${DIRECTORY}/{NODE_CONFIG}-config.json
KES=${DIRECTORY}/kes.skey
VRF=${DIRECTORY}/vrf.skey
CERT=${DIRECTORY}/node.cert
cardano-node run --topology ${TOPOLOGY} --database-path ${DB_PATH} --socket-path ${SOCKET_PATH} --host-addr ${HOSTADDR} --port ${PORT} --config ${CONFIG}

–shelley-kes-key ${KES} --shelley-vrf-key ${VRF} --shelley-operational-certificate ${CERT}

EOF

Is this a possible error in the coincashew guide? Should I be using a cardano-node run command similar to the one that uses the cert and keys?

Hi @christobear12

It can be confusing. I believe the command is correct because you’ll configure the block producer at this section Guide: How to build a Cardano Stake Pool - CoinCashew. You are almost there. Good luck.

Please find the extract below

cat > $NODE_HOME/startBlockProducingNode.sh << EOF 
DIRECTORY=$NODE_HOME
PORT=6000
HOSTADDR=0.0.0.0
TOPOLOGY=\${DIRECTORY}/${NODE_CONFIG}-topology.json
DB_PATH=\${DIRECTORY}/db
SOCKET_PATH=\${DIRECTORY}/db/socket
CONFIG=\${DIRECTORY}/${NODE_CONFIG}-config.json
KES=\${DIRECTORY}/kes.skey
VRF=\${DIRECTORY}/vrf.skey
CERT=\${DIRECTORY}/node.cert
cardano-node run --topology \${TOPOLOGY} --database-path \${DB_PATH} --socket-path \${SOCKET_PATH} --host-addr \${HOSTADDR} --port \${PORT} --config \${CONFIG} --shelley-kes-key \${KES} --shelley-vrf-key \${VRF} --shelley-operational-certificate \${CERT}
EOF

Hi!

yes - that seems an error… will you create an issue in github?

Yes. I just created an issue on the github.

Thanks for confirming.

edit: (issue closed). Updated answer

1 Like

Thanks for your help.
my startup script looks like that one but I couldn’t find the section where we updated it.