We have a new Feature in our Forum called the Table of Contents (TOC) feature that automatically generates a table of contents for longer posts on the our platform. It uses markdown headers to create a list of clickable links to sections within a post.
The feature is designed to make it easier for readers to navigate through lengthy posts, and for authors to structure their content better.
toc = table of contents
- Automatically generates the entire toc via a button in the composer gear menu
- The toc will always be on the screen - scrolls with content like the topic progress widget
- As you scroll past sections in the topic, the active element in the table of contents will be set to active (blue highlight)
- adds id attributes to headings (you can link to a specific section from another topic / post)
- clicking on any link in the toc will instruct the browser to navigate to relevant section (smooth-scrolling)
- adds a copy-able link next to each heading (if you want to link to it)
How does it work?
# heading 1 ## heading 2 ### heading 3 #### heading 4 ##### heading 5 ###### heading 6
How to activate the Feature?
This is the text that shows up in the composer preview to indicate that the a toc will be generated for the topic
An example of how this will appear in an article can be seen here: