UPDATE CARDANO NODE to 1.26.1 - FOR CNTOOLS users

so basically, you can still do this step after you upgrade your version to 1.26.1

Hi Alex ,
Thank you for your fast update guide. I have a question regarding to prereqs.sh
I see that line ā†’ export BOOTSTRAP_HASKELL_GHC_VERSION=8.10.2
but iĀ“m not sure if would be better update it with the version 8.10.4 of ghc. (I see that in other infos).
Do you know something about that?

cheers

Thanks Alex! works like a charm!

1 Like

itā€™s up to you if u have to update the ghc versionā€¦ I will stay with 8.10.2, I donā€™t think is a special request to have 8.10.4

1 Like

You are right:

Ola Ahlman | AHL | Principal Maintainer of CNTools & Guild LV, [07.04.21 18:43]

Doesnā€™t really matter, 8.10.2 works fine

1 Like

Im currently at 1hr 20mins on ā€œstartingā€. Has your synced yet?

Yes, waitā€¦ needs to re-sync the DBā€¦ could take 2 hoursā€¦ let me check how long it took for my relay ā€¦ ~2 hours

Word, thank you as always

Thank you for the insanely quick post/update @Alexd1985 !

For AWS users:
You can create AMI snapshot of your nodes to back it up (snapshots may restart your server - some downtime)

I have not tested this method as this is my first upgrade. But Iā€™m thinking of trying to following below so there will be no downtime:

1. From AMI snapshot of a relay, deploy it an EC2 instance as a standby BP.
  2. Perform update on Relay node to cardano-node 1.26
  3. Do some final checks and test to make sure node is functioning properly
  4. Add in the BP files (vrf,kes,node cert) to standby BP but do not restart the node
  5. Update Relay/BP topology to include the standby BP
  6. Stop the old BP node
  7. Restart the cardano-node on new standby BP node

Let me know if anyone has had experience with updating and whether method above works or what youā€™ve done.

Hope it helps, thanks
David

1 Like

Should work very well

1 Like

Took about 55 minutes to sync and finally good to go! Patience everyone!

1 Like

sudo cp $(find $HOME/git/cardano-node/dist-newstyle/build -type f -name ā€œcardano-nodeā€) /usr/local/bin/cardano-node
this doesnt work for me?
the previous command worked

Weirdā€¦ my relay is running more than 4 hours but still stuck at ā€œStatus: startingā€¦ā€

Service status tells me ā€œFailed to query protocol-parametersā€

Socket path is emptyā€¦

Any idea?

Try journalctl -e -f -u cnode.service

4 hours I think itā€™s to much but for me it took ~2hours with 8vcpu

Already checked, nothing special:

Looking at the linked Github Issues it seems like TraceMemPool behaviour should be better in 1.26.1. But its not 100% clear if there is still a risk to loose blocks. Is this trace needed for anything?
Here is a link which asks the same question bot with no answer so far: [Documentation] - TraceMempool: practical usage for relays Ā· Issue #2350 Ā· input-output-hk/cardano-node Ā· GitHub

Thanks for the notes, @Alexd1985. Everything worked great for me. 3 relay and 1 block producer. Took about 2 hours.

For 1.25.1 - I did disable the Trace Mempool. I havenā€™t switched it back yet so I may still experiment with that.

1 Like

1.26.1 has a significant CPU improvements, I can tell u for sure

But its not 100% clear if there is still a risk to loose blocks.

If ur node has not enough HW resources with 1.25.1 u can loss blocks because of high CPU usage when is set to true

Is this trace needed for anything?
Yes, for example u can track the TX processed

1.26.1 has a significant CPU improvementā€¦ u can set to true now

Nothing changed?