Cardano Node Update from v 1.26.1 to v 1.26.2 | based for coincashew user

An important update for all SPOs who don’t want to miss potential blocks!

Fixed:

Stake pools unnecessarily evaluate the stake distribution at the epoch boundary

Read more about it: Github

It is also sufficient to install the update only on the blockprudcer. The relays do not necessarily need it. However, it also makes sense to update relays and other airgapped machines.

FIRST:

Take an Backup/Snapshot from your Nodes!!!

– Update Guild LiveView –

Note: You don’t have to update gLive, I just included it in case an update is released. So it is only preventive because it does not interfere with the update process.

cd ${NODE_HOME}
curl -s -o gLiveView.sh https://raw.githubusercontent.com/cardano-community/guild-operators/master/scripts/cnode-helper-scripts/gLiveView.sh
curl -s -o env https://raw.githubusercontent.com/cardano-community/guild-operators/master/scripts/cnode-helper-scripts/env
chmod 755 gLiveView.sh

– Update env file with the stake pools configuration –

sed -i env \
    -e "s/\#CONFIG=\"\${CNODE_HOME}\/files\/config.json\"/CONFIG=\"\${NODE_HOME}\/mainnet-config.json\"/g" \
    -e "s/\#SOCKET=\"\${CNODE_HOME}\/sockets\/node0.socket\"/SOCKET=\"\${NODE_HOME}\/db\/socket\"/g"

– Download source from github –

cd $HOME/git
rm -rf cardano-node-old/
git clone https://github.com/input-output-hk/cardano-node.git cardano-node2
cd cardano-node2/

– Checkout new Branch 1.26.2 and Compile –

cd $HOME/git/cardano-node2
cabal update
git fetch --all --recurse-submodules --tags
git checkout tags/1.26.2
cabal configure -O0 -w ghc-8.10.4
echo -e "package cardano-crypto-praos\n flags: -external-libsodium-vrf" > cabal.project.local
cabal build cardano-node cardano-cli

Depending on the server performance, the process takes between 20 and 60 minutes.

– Check if cardano-cli and cardano-node updated to 1.26.2 –

$(find $HOME/git/cardano-node2/dist-newstyle/build -type f -name "cardano-cli") version
$(find $HOME/git/cardano-node2/dist-newstyle/build -type f -name "cardano-node") version

If it print you Version 1.26.2 than all is fine :wink:

– Stop old Cardano Node 1.26.1 and replace Binaries with the new Version –

Stop Node:
sudo systemctl stop cardano-node

Copy Binaries to bin folder:

sudo cp $(find $HOME/git/cardano-node2/dist-newstyle/build -type f -name "cardano-cli") /usr/local/bin/cardano-cli

sudo cp $(find $HOME/git/cardano-node2/dist-newstyle/build -type f -name "cardano-node") /usr/local/bin/cardano-node

Verify Version:

cardano-node version
cardano-cli version

If Version 1.26.2 you can start your node!

sudo systemctl start cardano-node

Via ./gLiveView.sh it should now look something like this:

– Now just clean up a little bit –

cd $HOME/git
mv cardano-node/ cardano-node-old/
mv cardano-node2/ cardano-node/

Guild LiveView:
Guild LiveView is not yet available for version 1.26.2 when you start it you will be asked if you want to update. Please enter “no” and confirm with return. There will be an official update of Guild LiveView in the next days.

Note:
With my own nodes i had to go a different way through a slightly different infrastructure. But I have adapted my instructions for you on “coincashew” instructions and should work without problems. Let me know if you have problems.

4 Likes

I can’t do that I need the binaries. Can somebody point me where they are? I can only find the 1.26.1

Hey. Enter the following command and you should find the current bin path.

command -v cardano-node

Output something like that: /usr/local/bin/cardano-node

Thanks for the great tutorial. A re-curring theme for me is that My build failed because dependencies cannot be found.

Can you post your error?

Stops here then continues with multiple errors looking for dependencies:

Please check if GHC is really on the Version 8.10.4 with ghc -v?

did you install ghcup?

Does anyone know if this command is needed before building the binaries?
I skipped that step, but looks like I may need to do it again , but im not sure.

Can anyone tell me the new NODE_BULD_NUM? Seems its the same as before?

export NODE_BUILD_NUM=5821110

Also whats the GIT REV of CLI and NODE ?
$ cardano-cli version
cardano-cli 1.26.2 - linux-x86_64 - ghc-8.10
git rev 3531289c9f79eab7ac5d3272ce6e6821504fec4c

$ cardano-node version
cardano-node 1.26.2 - linux-x86_64 - ghc-8.10
git rev 3531289c9f79eab7ac5d3272ce6e6821504fec4c

So I would say yes, you tell the build which compiler version to use.

1 Like

1 Like

ok. I will try that on relay1 and compare to relay 2. It worked ok on Relay2.

So is gLive broken as of right now?

not getting any ins and no transactions.

Never mind its working now:

Sometimes it just takes a moment until the relay IPs are known.

I skipped the steps where it said to update gLive and ENV. If they dont have an update why update it?

ghc version looked ok. i decided to just copy cardano-node2 from relay2 and copy it over to relay1. I was able to copy the binaries and the relay is up now. I have the same dependencies missing issues on my block producer so i have copied the cardano-node2 over to it as well. Would be nice to know why I have this problem on two of my computers though.

You should just follow the entire guide and compile the binaries. Make sure you sudo-apt update/upgrade / reboot

and

cabal update
git fetch --all --recurse-submodules --tags
git checkout tags/1.26.2
echo -e “package cardano-crypto-praos\n flags: -external-libsodium-vrf” > cabal.project.local
cabal build cardano-node cardano-cli

I had no issues going through those steps.

There is something weird. After the command above I listed all tags by git tag - 1.26.0 is the last one, the 1.26.2 is missing, the 1.26.1 which i compiled last time is missing too. Any clues where I made a mistake ?

This can’t be the case if you have loaded the current source and have gone to the correct branch (checkout).

1 Like