Cardano Foundation's Community Management Team supports Folding@Home for Covid-19 research

Nice stats! You’re definitely heating up their servers! :desktop_computer: :fire:

Thanks for that massive support! :smiley:

3 Likes

123 people, nice!

1 Like

I am impressed by all the people joining our initiative, and this is an understatement. Thank you all! Let’s keep #folding!

3 Likes

I have issues with the installation on Ubuntu.

Job for FAHClient.service failed because the control process exited with error code.
See "systemctl status FAHClient.service" and "journalctl -xe" for details.
invoke-rc.d: initscript FAHClient, action "start" failed.
● FAHClient.service - LSB: Folding@home Client
   Loaded: loaded (/etc/init.d/FAHClient; generated)
   Active: failed (Result: exit-code) since Sun 2020-03-22 18:10:13 CET; 5ms ago
     Docs: man:systemd-sysv-generator(8)
  Process: 19629 ExecStart=/etc/init.d/FAHClient start (code=exited, status=1/FAILURE)
    Tasks: 4 (limit: 4915)
   CGroup: /system.slice/FAHClient.service
           ├─19657 /usr/bin/FAHClient /etc/fahclient/config.xml --run-as fahclient --pid-file=/var/run/fahclient.pid --daemon
           └─19659 /usr/bin/FAHClient --child --lifeline 19657 /etc/fahclient/config.xml --run-as fahclient --pid-file=/var/run/fahclient.pid --daemon

márc 22 18:10:13 elx783565gj systemd[1]: Starting LSB: Folding@home Client...
márc 22 18:10:13 elx783565gj FAHClient[19629]: Starting fahclient ... FAIL
márc 22 18:10:13 elx783565gj systemd[1]: FAHClient.service: Control process exited, code=exited status=1
márc 22 18:10:13 elx783565gj systemd[1]: FAHClient.service: Failed with result 'exit-code'.
márc 22 18:10:13 elx783565gj systemd[1]: Failed to start LSB: Folding@home Client.

Anybody could install it? Thanks

Do you think the RIVM , the Dutch hospitals or researchers are aware of this organization? I am curious about it if they work with them…I don’t have social media accounts but otherwise I would have dropped this link on the RIVM Twitter/Facebook accounts…(see the hint Andy :slight_smile: )

https://foldingathome.org/2020/03/10/covid19-update/

1 Like

The iOS app seems to be only for monitoring same as the browser. I couldn’t try the other one with Android Studio because it eats up my RAM for some reason. Thanks for the suggestions, though.

1 Like

If you haven’t already, you should contact their support/community, they’ll know a lot more about it than us! :grin:

They seem to be pretty well connected… :grinning:
https://foldingathome.org/about/the-foldinghome-consortium/

2 Likes

Yes indeed…however the Dutch are nowhere to be seen :slight_smile:

I used to be an academic researcher, though not in this area. I’d be very surprised if they weren’t aware. Academics have some of the best social networks on the planet, they need to know what each other is working on.

2 Likes

I read this on the Wikipedia page for Rosetta@home:
"Of all the major distributed computing projects involved in protein research, Folding@home is the only one not using the BOINC platform.[73][74][75] Both Rosetta@home and Folding@home study protein misfolding diseases such as Alzheimer’s disease, but Folding@home does so much more exclusively.[76][77] Folding@home almost exclusively uses all-atom molecular dynamics models to understand how and why proteins fold (or potentially misfold, and subsequently aggregate to cause diseases).[78][79] In other words, Folding@home’s strength is modeling the process of protein folding, while Rosetta@home’s strength is computing protein design and predicting protein structure and docking.

Some of Rosetta@home’s results are used as the basis for some Folding@home projects. Rosetta provides the most likely structure, but it is not definite if that is the form the molecule takes or whether or not it is viable. Folding@home can then be used to verify Rosetta@home’s results, and can provide added atomic-level information, and details of how the molecule changes shape.[79][80]

The two projects also differ significantly in their computing power and host diversity. Averaging about 6,650 teraFLOPS from a host base of central processing units (CPUs), graphics processing units (GPUs), and PS3s,[81] Folding@home has nearly 108 times more computing power than Rosetta@home.[4]"

I’ll install Rosetta@home alongside Folding@home to see how they fare together, and if they jam, you can bet I will pledge to donate my GPU to them for the foreseeable future! Might even make my stake pool all about that jazz, this is awesome stuff!

4 Likes

I’m in!
Glad to help.

3 Likes

Interesting to see we have someone names “Anonymous” who’s ranked #7 (of all users) with Folding@Home, helping to fold with team Cardano. Nice! :rocket:

His/Her profile details: https://stats.foldingathome.org/donor/1437

1 Like

I thought the same thing at first but after looking it up, Anonymous the default user for anybody who opts for not showing a username for their account

3 Likes

Oh! Right, yes that makes much more sense.

Just add another 100 cpu’s to the fold for Cardano

6 Likes

Sometimes I get a few hours in-between folding@home GPU tasks. If this happens to you, here is my suggestions:

1. Download BOINC (distributed computing project manager) https://boinc.berkeley.edu/download_all.php
  2. Select View > Advanced View
  3. Select Options > Exclusive Applications
  4. Under “Suspend GPU usage when these application are running”, add

(both of these are under \AppData\Roaming\FAHClient\cores\cores.foldingathome.org\v7\win\64bit. You may need to enable “show hidden folders” if you don’t know how to get to AppData)

• FahCore_21.exe
  • FahCore_22.exe
  1. Under projects, add GPUGrid.

The above steps will allow you to contribute your GPU to GPUGrid only when folding@home tasks aren’t running. It makes the best use of your downtime!

6 Likes

Another 150 cpu’s coming up

3 Likes

Whoa, sweet!

#WhenMoon?

2 Likes