Cardano lets you own your identity

This could be considered a bit late. Other projects on other chains also publish their work in progress, there. In fact, there are some (IMO quite embarrassing) threads on here asking for technical details of Prism for years:

Sorry, those are just buzzwords, but also that was a bit of a hidden back-reference to:

I really do not see any advantage that a blockchain-based or specifically Atala-Prism-based solution would have over, e.g., simply using https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/X.509.

How do you know if an issuer is “trusted and verifiable”? This information has to either be provided by some means off-chain (raising the question if I still need the chain when this off-chain infrastructure is needed anyway – and, in fact, is the only means by which trust is generated, the recording on the chain is basically worthless here) or you somehow have to gatekeep that only “trusted and verifiable” issuers’ DIDs go onto the chain (raising the question if the chain’s verification in this regard is sufficient and also obviously making it quite centralised).

So, you are using a technique akin to https://w3c-ccg.github.io/did-method-key/? Where the DID document can be generated from the DID itself without the need of it being provided somewhere? But why do issuer’s DIDs then have to be on-chain? What information is conveyed by it being on-chain? Other than that someone has put it on the chain?

So, the specifications will be published and then I will be able to create my own DID, also DIDs for issuing credentials, create VCs, … and all that without any help from IOHK or a central service of Atala Prism and then Lace will accept all that in exactly the same way as it is accepted if I use your tools? Yes, then it is decentralised.

But that would also be needed. Getting the whole world to use the Cardano SSI solution in preference to any of the Ethereum or other chain solutions would be phantasmal. For interoperability, it would of course also be needed that the Prism method is also present in the resolvers they use.

3 Likes