Cardano Smart Contracts & VMs Explained

/made a video trying to explain the different programming languages and systems used for Cardano smart contracts :slight_smile:

Please let me know if there are any mistakes.

12 Likes

Salut Seb, Thanks for the video! Impressive stuff as usual, you nailed it.

I just realised that NEO was also planning to offer the possibility to develop Smart contracts in several imperative languages, based on the following doc http://docs.neo.org/en-us/index.html

C# / VB.Net / F#, Visual Studio, Java / Kotlin, Eclipse, C / C++ / GO, JavaScript / TypeScript, Python / Ruby.

I freely admit that I was naive enough to think that only Cardano had worked on semantics with RunTime Verification (K, IELE VM and EVM…). Turns out I was wrong.

I would be interested to hear your technical opinion on the subtle differences between the two approaches from a smart contracts standpoint, apart from the Haskell protocol - therefore potentially less buggy and more efficient- that distinguish them, and apart from their dBFT-PoS consensus, of course.

I guess I only want to be reassured…and it implies covering what competitors are doing, because I believe NEO is playing on the same field, maybe more than Ethereum.

2 Likes

As far as I know Runtime Verification is only working with Ethereum and IOHK for blockchain stuff. (Note: in this setting RV is a name, not the concept)

NEO has their own unrelated VM that tries to solve a similar problem. I’m not sure how the smart contracts differ because I’m never looked into NEO smart contracts.

1 Like

Thanks a lot mate! Just wanted an opinion as I am not a developer (I’m modestly learning Python).

I’ll do some more digging. Looking forward to your next videos!