Cardano Sustainability and IOHK contract

IOHK is not the point. It’s a private company and doesn’t belong to Cardano. If IOHK is fully funded, great, but it doesn’t change the contract with Cardano. IOHK has no obligation to extend the contract if the company is financially well. The contract runs until 2020 and Cardano will have to pay again for development.

1 Like

He’s said more than once that IOHK will complete the job, having other sources of revenue. It’s in one of the last 2-3 videos of 2018.

What does it mean to complete the job? Honor the contract that expires in 2020 or finalize the planned roadmap even if it results in 2 more years of development? I believe Charles is only saying that IOHK will honor the contract that ends in 2020.

1 Like

It means finalizing the roadmap. It’s clear in the video context. If you don’t believe me check it out.

Can you please show me the video? I always watch Charles’ videos and I never understood it that way. On the contrary, the 2020 date never seemed to be subject to change.

1 Like

No I don’t have to time to do that for you, it’s not my problem, if you’re so concerned you should watch them again.

The 2020 date doesn’t change because that’s the contract end date, what he’s said is that they will work beyond the end of the contract if necessary to make Cardano self-sustaining.

IMO anyone who has watched many of his videos knows how personally committed he is to this project, so his willingness to go “above and beyond” should not be a surprise.

And if you think he might be overruled on that by others within IOHK, you don’t know much about IOHK.

I really believe in the commitment of Charles and IOHK. I’m not being rude, I just have doubts. You brought an argument, I friendly asked for the source. I’ll look into it, as you’re so sure of that, I’ll watch all of Charles’s videos again. I hope you’re right.

4 Likes

Hello,

they have been contracted to build Cardano, and they will even if it takes longer, because they have to ship. It’s not like they can say: ok guys time is up, we are done. Charles addressed this already two times in the AMA.

https://youtu.be/kmnbzUwlm0s?t=5844 and https://youtu.be/Z_WrH6EPAQs?t=5022

I recommend watching both videos. Great answers. :ok_hand:

10 Likes

Thanks a lot, I thought he’d repeated that more recently but couldn’t swear to it, I knew for sure he’d said it at some stage.

Charles has said multiple times that they are under contract through the end of 2020. In the event that the roadmap has not been completed, then they will continue working beyond that date. The ADA funds that belong to IOHK are not to be used for developmental funding. Those ADA belong to IOHK and act as an incentive for them to build a robust and sustainable product. Once the current roadmap has been fully implemented, then it will be up to the community to utilize the on-chain voting mechanism to fund the next round of protocol upgrades. These upgrades will be funded by the treasury.

The $62M raised was the value of the BTC at time of sale. Since the last trench was completed in Q1 of 2017, it’s very likely that the BTC were worth $1-2k each. It’s very possible that IOHK sold much later and actually has 100’s of millions in reserves. Nevertheless, that is not our business. The only thing that ADA holders should be concerned with is that IOHK is able to fulfill the contract to which they agreed. As of now, it looks like they clearly have ample funding to do this.

4 Likes

@Chess, I think this could address part of your questions…

Thank you for the videos. Let’s dive into it:
In the first video Charles said: “if the treasury system exist we will submit a ballot asking for aditional funding and the community will get to decide that.

In the second video, Charles said: “by 2020 we will have a fully operational treasury and we’ll stick around until that’s done so if it bleeds in the 2021 we’ll keep working untill that’s done and at that point there’s going to be specifications, Cardano improvement proposal process, competing clients written in different languages by different development teams…IOHK would love to continue doing research and engineering but you the ADA holders will be able to do that choice. So we’ll submit funding proposal to keep the contract going but you get to decide whether that happens.

So I believe this solves the main question. Thank you guys.

Cardano will have a new roadmap after IOHK summit. I was wondering if eventually they would announce the continuity of the IOHK contract after 2020 to finalize the treasury system, but they’re calling it “Cardano 2020 vision”…Regarding the treasury, I’m curious as to what will be announced. Any thoughts?

3 Likes

Sebastien said on Twitter there is already a private testnet to Treasury System.

I think there is a paper on the subject too:

The topic should be sharpen until the Voltaire phase.

1 Like

What would be the funding proposal?

Obviously there is no money from treasury at the beginning unless the 640M adas belongs to it?

I believe IOHK will not do a funding proposal untill the community has enough funds to decide. This is why Charles mentioned entering 2021 working at Cardano. The community will vote when it has the powers (system and money) to do so

1 Like

I think developing Cardano is in best interest of IOHK, so they will be still motivated to finish the product even without a contract.

However, no massive adoption = no transactions = no money in the treasury

I remember around 120K ADAs were burnt last year for collecting transaction fees.

Just wondering how should/will the community have " enough funds" to contract IOHK or others? While the most possible funds, the 640M ADAs from Cardano Foundation, right now is also controlled in IOHK’s hands. Isn’t it a conflict of interest?

Sorry, I’m kinda new to this community governance and sustainability issues, things just really don’t make any sense to me.

When staking starts, a tax on all rewards would go to “treasury” too… :moneybag:

1 Like

It is hard to anticipate these kind of factors. Who knows if 120K ADA won’t be enough ? For doing what ? Might be, might not. Best case scenario is that IOHK delivers a strong enough protocol and run untouched for a couple of years. Let the dust settles and see where we want to go from there. Who can predict the price tag of ADA, or the daily usage of the platform in 2 years from now ?

2 Likes

LOL!!!

Ya, hopefully 120K ADA can worth 12 million USD soon… :laughing: