Chronologically. NFT Layers > Domain Minting

Can someone possibly give me a chronological timeline of the process from having the layers to getting them onto your own minting https domain. I am very new to this so any help would be graciously accepted. I did comprehend getting a user off fivver to do the coding part for me but have since fell in love with Cardano and would love to learn for myself.

Say i have 4 sets of 10 unique layers already made up, and was looking to produce a set of 10,000 NFT’s. would I be the one that mints all 10,000 into my wallet, then distributes them to the correlating address once a purchaser “mints” one of the website, so essentially all 10,000 are minted before the minting process begins. Or is it a case of they mint off the website and there is code in place that generates one to their address simultaneously with the ADA payment. If the latter is correct what would be the most practical way of doing this ?

I know i may be getting ahead of myself as i’ve still not fully comprehended basic code, how to run the cardano node or generate 10,000 unique images but i am very appreciative of any guidance from this amazing community.
many thanks, Marky.

1 Like

Hi there and welcome :slight_smile:

Thats a big question/task you ask! From the formulation of your question I guess you have some experience with other blockchains and their way of creating NFT’s, is that correct? I think this because I know that on Ethereum there are opensource solution that combine layers to create a json format which can be coupled via a smart contract to OpenSea [0]

On cardano the main way of independently communicating with the blockchain is the cardano-node [1]. Via this node you can send transactions and query basic info from the chain (this will suffice for minting). For more complex querying of the chain you can use the cardano-db-sync [2]. But note there are also third party solutions that combine these such that users don’t have to keep a copy of the chain, for example a good solution is the blockfrost api [3]. The way you want to implement you minting is up to you, third parties may result in additional fee’s.

Then on how to structure your project, I guess that a lot of other projects do the following. Setup a website that can communicate with a node. Let the node generate a unique address for every minting request from the website by an user. Let the user send X amount of ada to this address. You backed queries for received funds and upon receiving constructs a transaction that mints and sends the NFT to their address. The construction that layers your NFT to generate unique ones is something that you have to build yourself, i haven’t seen opensource projects that do this. But I know that it is not hard [4].

Now the above can also be done whitout running a node and only using an api, tho the construction of these nft’s is still up to you. Maybe another community member can help you with that.

So in conclusion its all up to you and how good your DevOp skills are, but know that the sky is the limit! lastly I would like so share a nice blogpost on how SpaceBudz did their initial sale [5]

Hi Fermat, firstly thank you very much for the in-depth reply, I certainly took a lot of valuable information from it and greatly appreciate the time that it took for you to go through those subjects and attach relevant links. I especially found the spacebudz one eye opening.

Unfortunately i have no experience with NFT’s on any blockchain for that matter.

I did look at minting my project through the ethereum blockchain but fell in love with Cardano, just a shame it’s so goddamn complicated (for me)

On my Mac, the system i was hoping to operate this project from i have already downloaded cardano-node-1.30.0-macos.tar.gz. After that my blockhead capabilities got stumped at specifying the configuration parameters. Not even a youtube tutorial in sight. Have i got ahead of myself for not understanding basic code first ? i opened Terminal for the first time ever yesterday.

Should i be learning the Haskell coding language before trying this (that is the language used for all this stuff right ?) ? is there someone i can pay to do this project and break down in steps how they did it ?

again many thanks, Marky

Hey Marky

Good to hear that you took the red pill and just started installing stuff :slight_smile: I think in general blockchain/distributed systems are rather hard to fully grasp. There is a lot at play and the devil is in the details, I too struggle learning this stuff. What gets me to push trough is the community that always is willing to respond to questions and suggestions.

If you really want to learn about this stuff there is good material out there and this forum and the stack exchange got your back on the basics. But I also must warn you, Cardano is not for the fainted hearth. This is tech that is pioneering the blockchain space with new concepts and complex structures that a few are expert in. This means that support on the boundaries is not always guaranteed and self study is mandatory. There is a nice analogue of the island, the ocean and the pond to illustrate that [1].

I think it is wise to first start with the basics of the network and blockchains in general to get started. First you gotta crawl before you can walk. Try installing a testnet node first to get familiar with the interface of the cardano network. Tip: almost all open software project have installation guides in the readme on their github (for the node [2]). The documentation of all the functionality is also on github, so no youtube videos needed :slight_smile: Once that is installed try building basic transactions via that and get used to the cardano-cli (get to know the UTXO model). Once that is running the basics are not that hard. From there you can think about other steps to take.

No you don’t need to learn Haskell to develop/learn about this tech. The core infrastructure is indeed build on this language for good reasons but most of us that develop on cardano use other ways of interacting with this core. The cardano-cli for example is written in haskell but the usage is certainly not. As mention the video above, as time progresses more tools in other languages will come available, but for now we are on the Island. Of course you could pay someone to do all of this but I would like to encourage you to not do so. Why take the elevator when you can take the stairs, its better for you in the long run.

Good luck with the journey and have fun. And if you have questions try asking detailed questions!