Failed to build small-steps-test-0.1.0.0.(Mac OS Big sur)

Hello to all,
I’m just setting up a Cardano node which is a part of my summer internship, as I followed all steps mentioned here- Installing the node from source — cardano-node Documentation 1.0.0 documentation

I got an error when I run cabal build all

here is the error-

Failed to build small-steps-test-0.1.0.0.
Build log (
/Users/abhijaypaliwal/.cabal/logs/ghc-8.10.4/smll-stps-tst-0.1.0.0-b30fe434.log
):
Configuring library for small-steps-test-0.1.0.0..
Preprocessing library for small-steps-test-0.1.0.0..
Building library for small-steps-test-0.1.0.0..
[1 of 5] Compiling Control.State.Transition.Trace ( src/Control/State/Transition/Trace.hs, dist/build/Control/State/Transition/Trace.o, dist/build/Control/State/Transition/Trace.dyn_o )
<command line>: dlopen(/Users/abhijaypaliwal/.cabal/store/ghc-8.10.4/lib/libHScrdn-crypt-clss-2.0.0-2c7e45a5-ghc8.10.4.dylib, 5): Symbol not found: _sodium_free
  Referenced from: /Users/abhijaypaliwal/.cabal/store/ghc-8.10.4/lib/libHScrdn-crypt-clss-2.0.0-2c7e45a5-ghc8.10.4.dylib
  Expected in: flat namespace
 in /Users/abhijaypaliwal/.cabal/store/ghc-8.10.4/lib/libHScrdn-crypt-clss-2.0.0-2c7e45a5-ghc8.10.4.dylib
cabal: Failed to build small-steps-test-0.1.0.0 (which is required by
test:cardano-api-test from cardano-api-1.27.0 and test:cardano-cli-test from
cardano-cli-1.27.0). See the build log above for details.

can anyone please solve this issue, I’m new to Cardano. Thanks in advance.

I’m getting the same error except when running stack build --test --no-run-tests. (I’m trying to setup cardano-wallet)

Did you make it past this problem?

Hi @fckoff !

Check those manuals

It should work. I validated on M1 building cardano node, I’m pretty sure it will work on regular Mac.

If you still will not be able to build, please let me know.

Probably the easiest way will be just to use binaries, if you can.

Thanks for the note. I’m also working on an M1. I’ll start the guides anew and see what happens…

Btw if building the node on MacOS is not a required and an essential step, you could make it easy for you and download the Daedalus wallet which already ships with a full node.