Error while trying to Start the Node

Here is how it went down. Any thoughts? I’m not a tech guy but thought I would try this out. Everything was good until this point.

[ec2-user@ip-172-31-42-207 relay]$ cardano-node run \

–topology testnet-topology.json
–database-path db
–socket-path db/node.socket
–host-addr 3.18.107.56
–port 3001
–config testnet-config.json
cardano-node: error while loading shared libraries: libsodium.so.23: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

1 Like

I am assuming you are running on Ubuntu or something. That means you are missing the libsodium library? Did you build cardano-node yourself or download it from somewhere. If you built it youself, from which instructions?

I am using an AWS server. and lib sodium seemed to load ok. Do you think that I should start over from that point? I was just following Crypto Carlos’s video and following along on the instructions.
On the 'Installing Cardano Node" document, in the section that starts with 'For Shelly testnet we will use tag 1.18.0 . but In the code, that I copied and pasted it uses 1.19.0… I changed that to 1.18 before I hit enter going on the asumption that the written portion was right… This might be why I’m having issues. Curious on your thoughts.

How did you determine that?

Also, you should use tag-1.19.0.

please install the necessary libsodium package

sudo apt-get -y install libsodium-dev
export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=“/usr/local/lib:$LD_LIBRARY_PATH”

4 Likes

I copy and pasted this but received this error:
‘apt-get: command not found’

sorry to bother you all with my lack of experience
-S

I started over and was able to get it to synch.

Thanks, Lauris!
You saved me a lot of time.
Still on testnet. Had system issues with Ubuntu, so I reinstalled Ubuntu 20.04 LTS.

Then tried to install latest release of cardano-node 1.19.1 on testnet which doesn’t work out of the box - has issue finding cardano-node binary and correct path to the binary. I don’t even know if it installed the binary - I couldn’t find it.

Downgraded to 1.19.0 testnet, then half way through entire stake-pool course, I come across this same issue, but in manifests itself in a different form in that it won’t allow you to generate vrf keys.
I figured out to add the extra package libsodium-dev from some other post on this forum, then recompiled and re-installed libsodium binary (don’t know if this step was necessary), but I didn’t know to “re-export” LD_LIBRARY_PATH. I thought exporting paths was a one-time deal. I guess it’s a form of updating to the system what newly added or modified libraries are available in LD_LIBRARY_PATH.

Had I not come across your post, I would have downgraded to 1.18.0 and started over. :frowning:

This work for me on Ubuntu machine

Thanks

thank you!!!