The Catalyst team are attempting to force proposals in the Catalyst System Improvements to be migrated to other categories.
The Catalyst team created this category themselves without community consent, have submitted proposals in the category to try and get funding and have now used the IOG legal team to execute a proposal migration process to move proposals in that same category to other categories when they believe a proposal does not address the category brief.
Some of the core issues around the situation include:
- Incorrect & insufficient migration rationale - The rationale provided by IOG’s legal team is not correct nor sufficient for them to authoritatively migrate the Web 3 Association’s proposal to another category. This outcome may also be the case for other proposals in the same category.
- No process checks & balances - The migration process currently does not have any checks and balances to ensure that the actors who are executing the process are doing so correctly and fairly. The full authority is being given to a small handful of people to make these decisions without any external moderation.
- No ability for proposers to defend their proposal allocation - Proposers are unable to provide any rationale to disagree with the outcome from this proposal migration process and justify why their proposal is correctly positioned in the right category.
- Conflict of interest - The Catalyst team from IOG have proposals in the Catalyst System Improvements category and legal team from IOG were responsible for handling the migration process. IOG has a direct financial incentive to reduce and remove competition from the category they are competing in as the funding can be used to pay for IOG employed staff.
The following areas provides more depth around this issue and the surrounding decisions and processes that have been adopted by the Catalyst team.
- Record of events around this issue - https://cardanopace.notion.site/Record-of-events-abcce605a56e4c698f2ea8c7bfa5d5e0
The analysis helps to highlight how the proposal migration process has not been well designed.
- Read the analysis - https://cardanopace.notion.site/Proposal-migration-process-flaws-suggestions-ff5554774cf6407a802d4dde77fda67d
The analysis highlights how the category brief is not well scoped and has been unnecessarily made more exclusive and overly specific which reduced competition and benefited the Catalyst team.
- Read the analysis - https://cardanopace.notion.site/Catalyst-System-Improvement-category-brief-flaws-suggestions-1760ec9ffd5543a3b81bd47d302a8787
Further analysis helps highlight how the Web 3 Association - Treasury System Knowledge Resources proposal is highly relevant and applicable to achieving the intent of the category brief.
- Read the analysis - https://cardanopace.notion.site/Web-3-Association-proposal-addressing-the-category-brief-f5f67fa2d5964f62b62b15f670257fb2
Community resolution vote
After you have read the analysis above please join in participating in this vote to share your opinion about how this problem should be resolved by the Catalyst team.
The vote is happening in two places and will be shared with the Catalyst team:
- Twitter - https://twitter.com/cardanopace/status/1694824944918544820
- Cardano Forum vote - Forced Proposal Migrations - Community Resolution Vote