Heavy traffic still causing bottlenecks. What's the scaling solution to solve this?

On December 12th, Cornucopias distributed their BobbleHead NFTs to those who minted them. During that distribution the chain was heavily loaded. I was trying to mint an NFT from another project at the time using Eternl. My transaction was submitted and showed up on Cardanoscan at 5:22 EST. Eventually my transaction failed.

My questions:

1. What scaling solution will help with this situation? Would the Cornucopias team have to open a Hydra head for the NFT distribution?

2. If a layer 2 solution is what’s needed, what will prevent someone from using layer 1 and clogging the chain up? It might be more cost effective to use layer 2, but will the savings be enough to keep folks from clogging layer 1? We can’t force people to use the optimal solutions right?

My concern here is performance with a growing user base. Eventually excitement will return to the space and more users will join. I can’t see folks sticking around if it takes longer than 10 minutes for a transaction to be confirmed.

If the problem is well understood and a solution is already in the works, I would greatly appreciate an explanation.

Thanks in advance!

Quick answers:

1. Hydra + Mithril + Sidechains
  2. Every developer can use L1, but it will be faster and less expensive to use L2. Most will look for that incentive.

My article: The Basho Era: Scalability for Cardano in 2022 | AdaPulse

1 Like

To follow up, per my conversation on twitter with @matiwinnetou, it seems hydra would not be the solution for this. A sidechain may work, but will add some complication as discussed further beyond the screenshot.

Full convo for context:

@arielfavio

1 Like