Idea for YouTube scam prevention

Obviously seeing all the people get their Ada stolen by give away scammers on YouTube makes me sad and Angry.

I’m not sure how YouTube content creation works but maybe we could create a channel and put up our own live streams with a catchy title like “Ada to the moon” or similar and have a prerecorded message on repeat warning people about the scams. Could probably have several channels and have them going 24/7.

3 Likes

Yeah, come on, people should know this is a scam… It is so easy to understand if u are thinking for 1 second

I don’t think that’s how Youtube works mate…

And if somebody gets these on an ad/post in their Social Media feed for example, and they don’t even take the time to do one google search before falling for it, I don’t know how we can help them… :frowning:

1 Like

but maybe we could create a channel and put up our own live streams with a catchy title like “Ada to the moon” or similar and have a prerecorded message on repeat warning people about the scams. Could probably have several channels and have them going 24/7.

Would not that become more confusing for people? I think content creators should step up and make anti-scam videos, so when people Google “ADA/Cardano + Scam” they will be the first things to pop up.

I think another 24/7 channel would be very confusing.

Content Creators have an opportunity to raise awareness, instead of profits.

Its very tricky this topic. In my opinion something like an forcefully shown warning would be great.

To summarize:
People wont google it.
Some people dont think about it.
There are very good scams out there.

We have 1 point where the community can forcefully show an warning: In the wallet Apps like yoroi or daedalus.
In my opinion we could show an warning message like: “Be aware of scams, you wont get free ADA ever. Transactions can not reversed if they are send…”

To forcefully show this this message could pop up if you open up the send tab in the wallets. Then you need to check that youve read and understand it. Maybe we could save very much people with that way, but yes everyone of us will see this and we need to check this warning every time. That is inconvenient but effective.

What do you think about this idea?

3 Likes

Great idea imo @Jonny22, it can be a small notification in the Send screen, that you can check off (no need for pop-up every time you want to send).

But what I think you and @bwbush are missing here is that imo a great portion, if not a huge majority, of people falling for giveaway scams use an Exchange account to hold and send their ADA.
They don’t know to google “ADA Scam”/“Giveaway Scam”, so it seems presumptuous to me to think they would know how to create and use a proper wallet.

So this may be a nice gesture, but possibly totally ineffective in the bottom line (though it is nice to show we care).
The deeper issue we are dealing with here is the victimization of the ignorant and the excessively greedy, and that’s always been, and still remains, a very hard problem to tackle.

Ok @rin9s that is out of our community controllable area.
At first i wouldnt give an option to opt-out from that warning message. I mean if you do your first transaction you will opt-out and see it never again. In that way it could be something like the fact that every one is accepting General Business Conditions online but never read them :joy:

To the problem with the exchanges. The people which are having thousands of ADA hold on an exchange wallet already did something wrong, ok jokes beside :joy: I think this is out of our reach and in the responsibility of the exchanges.

One very creative idea could be something funny: What if someone of the community or the special anti-fraud task force of cardano host an blacklist of wallet IDs. Now we could offer this via an API to exchanges or payment solutions or something else like coti. Now they could use it as blacklist that that this wallets are not accepted by smart contracts or dApps, DeFi …
This blacklist API in addition with intellegent AI Bots which are scanning the in an out going transactions of an blacklisted wallet (just to blacklist new wallets of them).
For this idea its very important that an wallet is only getting on the blacklist if they are 100% sure that they acted fraudulent.

How do you think about this one? :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

Update:
Ok i just realised that this is impossible to set up with an 100% safety. Throw this idea away. Actual I have no idea for this topic. There are two ways to reach the goal:
Be more active and public on social media than the fraud
Or inform people better about that this is an fraud.
Anyone else an idea.

1 Like

I’m beside myself right now.

I just got burned.

But, anyway…

The only partial solution I can come up with is having all of the major YouTube crypto content creators add PSA’s at the beginnings of their videos and perhaps banners across their live streams.

In my case, I’ve watched dozens of videos and not one of them talked about these scams. Now, that is no excuse for my stupidity, but perhaps such measures could help people from making the same mistake that I made.

Then again…that might make the YouTubers targets of hacking…

I don’t know…

This sucks…

1 Like

Sorry this happened to you.

2 Likes

I have a new idea, but please dont blame me, i know that this is an very unpopular method.

What if we as Cardano Community do an Hard-Fork like that one which Ethereum did? I mean that Hard-Fork where they have reversed the DAO-Hack?
I say it again, im not so deep into the technical thing of cardano but is that even possible?

Another thing, is it possible to implement an wallet blacklist? If we have an wallet-id which is obviously a wallet of a scammer, could we set it on blacklist and now every transaction with one of the blacklisted wallets will be rejected by the network? Transactions from the wallet away and to the wallet.
This could work at the point of the blockproducer (Stake pools), but im not sure about that. Can the protocol work like that, that ouroboros decline every block with one transaction that include this wallets?

We’d have to get support of the major exchanges to get to people early. As part of account verification, exchanges should run everyone through a mandatory 1-2 minute video.

I’ve started recording videos as part of my SP marketing. I might make this one a priority.

+1 spo marketing

The in-wallet warning is a good idea — should be easy to implement, and will probably save some users’ funds (just add a way for more experienced users to turn it off, please).

But as someone already pointed out, many crypto-newbies rely entirely on exchanges. If we could get those on board too, that would be great.

The hard fork idea… no. Aside from the fact that we’d be doing hard forks until the end of time in a futile attempt to protect certain individuals from their own lapses in common sense, considering Charles’ position on the Ethereum hard fork he might just murder you, put your corpse up for sale as a NFT, and go hunting for your firstborn :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

What I cannot seem to fathom, and will never understand is; how the heck does a platform as big as YouTube, with the unlimited capabilities of Google at their disposal, not implement a simple code that only allows one username per person? You could write it in under an hour and ensure that any accounts moving forward would not be able to dupe the creators exact name only without the :heavy_check_mark: And shaded name? That’s all they have to do to alleviate 100% of the problem. One username per one person, how is this not a thing on YouTube?

Most of the Scams I have seen on youtube.com are embedding a “livestream” video from the “charles hoskinson” channel. Maybe watermarking those videos with the original channel name might make it less attractive to use those videos for the scammers.

+1 for in-wallet and exchanges warnings but it requires a lot of private companies to be motivated and the assumption that people will actually read them. Otherwise you use the play book of scammers, and set up a 2 for 1 website (or 3 even, why not) with a warning message before or after the transaction. On the model of what is already done in a few corporations to educate people on the risks associated to phishing or spear phishing. It’s more efficient than any PDF or YouTube video you could think of.