Imperative languages for smart contracts

As per my understanding from Charles’s AMAs it seems like work on K framework and IELE have been paused till IOHK meets 2020 timeline for other higher priority deliverables.
Which means that initial wave of developers will have to learn Plutus/Haskel to build on Cardano.

Is there any future plan for continuing the work on supporting imperative languages(Java, JS, GO, Python etc)?
Most of the developers are experienced in these languages rather than FP(Functional Programming).
Also i feel this may slow the adoption of our platform by some of the very talented programmers initially. Thoughts?

@singhverse hey good afternoon I saw your comment and I saw no one has answered you yet but I will try my best to help you out I’m not a developer by any means I am a big supporter and number one fan of ADA CARDANO THE HOLE TEAM!! But on Charles last video he made around the time Mark of 16:00-18:00 he Said something about the Haskell side of Plutus witch is offchain code and will work with web assembly JavaScript node Package?? But I know one of their major plans are to bring people in to learn the Plutus Marlowe Code!! They have released a couple classes over at Udemy FREE and I know there is a book coming out in July I believe. Sir I hope this helps and maybe you should go and watch his last video and maybe that might give you some answers but I definitely hope this helps

1 Like

Hey @Billy1 Thank you for your reply.

I think i have seen that video and at some point Charles mentions that we will pick up the K and IELE work again some time in future. I was wondering if there is a concrete plan or not.

I remember Charles mentioning that IOHK spent millions of dollaaas on RV to help with this work. It will be sad to see all that work to go to waste.

Maybe this is a question that someone from IOHK can answer better.

Hey guys.

Here is what I know which may be limited so if anyone wants to add or correct please do…

Regarding the K Framework yes they are pausing development at this time. While a lot of work has been done there were still some hurdles to overcome and quite frankly I got the feeling that it may take a lot more work to overcome the hurdles. Those issues revolved around performance (speed) of code running on K versus running natively.

With that said the real attraction to using K was that it would be a universal translator and potentially make it extremely easy to have different languages run on Cardano.

In a recent Video Charles said it would be relatively easy to port individual languages into the system and they may do that. They will also probably explore using WebAssembly. I also think that Charles is hoping that other people will be doing research on this area that IOHK can borrow for implementation on Cardano.

2 Likes