Cardano is one of the most decentralized blockchains if it is not the most decentralized one, but what about overall dapp and protocol ecosystem?
- are we trully putting Cardano on end users hands or all the critical “off-chain” code has been centralized on backends and frontends since the begining? Is open-source enough or is our deployed code open and transparent as well?
- are our solutions coded in multiple complex languages only few can audit and all others blindly trust? Or are we democratizing auditability by putting the end user at the center?
- are we prepared for disaster recovery? For teams shutting down all their backends and frontends? For censorship attacks?
- Did we start building on backends because we had no client side tools to solve our problems and we kind of stick to them?
- what values are we truly looking for when we build our dreamt society?
Back in 2021 I was in love with Cardano, moving away from Ethereum issues. I left my Web2 projects and decide to work pioneering on Cardano, endless possibilities on a growing space. I was reluctant to use cardano-cli because it was going to force me to work on backend side and that was inacceptable for me, so I postpone all my plans and decide to build the wallet I needed it to be a “cardano-cli replacement for the web”, to let anyone build dapps on client-side, on user browsers instead of on backends.
To be clear: to build and use Cardano entirelly on browsers.
This is why our wallet is different from all others, because it was made since the beginning with the primordial rule of serving as a “cardano-cli” replacement for the web, why would I build a web wallet that would force builders to solve the 90% of their job elsewhere if not on users browsers?
I quickly realize I was on the right track when I was able to solve in minutes dapps with a few lines of JSON code that would take days, frontends, and backends otherwise and these are desktop and mobile dapps out of the box, out of the same code.
The wallet was much much more than just the tipical transaction-signer wallet.
Early 2022 I started the next evolution of this model. A powerfull JSON based DSL as dapp connector called GCScript and GCFS, a fully on-chain file/data storage protocol on Cardano.
Today, September 2023, we are celebrating not only that we solve the off-chain code of dapps since 2021, but also that thanks to the amazing work of Christian Schmitz we now solve on-chain code: the Helios Smart Contract Language is part of our DSL.
To celebrate and share to you all a 2-year-long work I’ve created an educational open source dapp to show a complete design principle alternative for making Cardano a more open, decentralized, interoperable and censorship resistant ecosystem.You may find many initial topic questions answered by reading the content inside dapp:
The first open and interoperable dapp running hosted on-chain with GCFS:
- Design principles explained in Dapp https://helios-support.netlify.app/
Want to vote for us on Catalyst Fund 10?
You have been able to upload entire frontends and any kind of file since months now but to serve web-ready frontends (and much more) your support is critical for us:
Also our powerfull dapp connector allow things nowhere else possible like offering these onboarding improvements without requiring any protocol changes. A joint effort with Matias Falcone [FALCON] and founder of ALDEA DAO:
- Babel Fees and Sponsored Transactions: NOW!
Finally consider supporting Christian Schmitz with
- Finalize Helios
Thanks for reading, and stay tuned because our GCWallet version 2 Beta is about to hit mainnet soon.
Adriano Fiorenza | Founder and developer of GameChanger Wallet