KES update/rollback tutorial for cntools install?

first to rotate check on adapools.org which op number was used for the last block… if for example it was 10 now u should use 11

before/after rotate u can check the certificate with this command:

cardano-cli query kes-period-info --op-cert-file op.cert --mainnet

The idea is … if u did not create any blocks since last rotate u must use same counter

check with cardano-cli query kes-period-info --op-cert-file op.cert --mainnet

the output should be

"qKesNodeStateOperationalCertificateNumber": X,
    "qKesOnDiskOperationalCertificateNumber": X+1,

then cntools does all the work correctly

Thanks Alex

1 Like

Is that something cntools related? Asking as I thought the counter gets incremented by 1 each time a new operational certificate is registered with the blockchain?

Maybe I have it wrong, so I’ll appreciate some help here:

My pool has not minted a block yet. I always increased the counter by 1 when renewing the operational certificate.

Checking the kes-period-info on BP I’m getting null for the blockchain counter which seems to be expected due to non minted blocks, while the one on disk is the current iteration (6). Am I doing something wrong here?

✓ Operational certificate's KES period is within the correct KES period interval
✗ No blocks minted so far with the operational certificate at: node.cert
  On disk operational certificate counter: 6
{
    "qKesCurrentKesPeriod": 634,
    "qKesEndKesInterval": 681,
    "qKesKesKeyExpiry": null,
    "qKesMaxKESEvolutions": 62,
    "qKesNodeStateOperationalCertificateNumber": null,
    "qKesOnDiskOperationalCertificateNumber": 6,
    "qKesRemainingSlotsInKesPeriod": 6047604,
    "qKesSlotsPerKesPeriod": 129600,
    "qKesStartKesInterval": 619
}

edit:

Shouldn’t qKesNodeStateOperationalCertificateNumber and qKesOnDiskOperationalCertificateNumber be equal after a successful rotation? Not sure how that plays together with the null value when no blocks minted.

Seems I understood it wrong here after the latest KES updates :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

Is that something cntools related? Asking as I thought the counter gets incremented by 1 each time a new operational certificate is registered with the blockchain?

the rules changed after Vasil HF (u need to increase exactly by 1 in case u made blocks)
Because u never made a block u need to use 0 as counter number each time when u rotate the KES

should be

qKesNodeStateOperationalCertificateNumber": null,
    "qKesOnDiskOperationalCertificateNumber": 0,
1 Like

Oh seems i totally misuderstood the updated rules. I thought it has to be exactly one number higher than the previoud and that it increases each time a new cert is issued. Thanks for the clarification.

1 Like