Missing 10,000 ADA, have I been hacked?

That’s fine, I plagiarized it too. JK :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I’ve already shared that comment on my facebook! LOL It’s great to define the difference between ignorance and stupidity. Stupid people seem to think they know everything.

I’m just happy to know that there are plenty things I don’t know, and I always try to be in a state of learning.

1 Like

ok, fair enough.
I idd have no clue how Cardano works, just based my assumption on a very small subset I have done.

Well that’s good then, but I think the hack is also quite far-fetched unless some external API was used to make these transactions

Somebody probably just got his seed from the screen shot. What is farfetched about that ?

I think whatever happened to you happened to me. Now I can’t decide whether or not to use that wallet again. Meaning, I did a malware/virus sweep, reinstalled Windows (albeit over the original) and reinstalled wallet but haven’t had the balls to deposit again. Ideas? I can’t very well just go buy another computer. Also, here’s the other fun part… in seeking Binance’s help, they said the final address looks like it’s a Binance customer but in order to cooperate, they need me to go the the local police here in Portland Oregon and tell them some dude in China stole my imaginary money, then when they’re done laughing at me, give the officer and case number to them. Catch is, the Portland Police have no jurisdiction in China, which Binance must know. FML.

This sucks big time :frowning_face: Really sorry to hear. Would that be possible for you, to share how you were storing your private keys and wallet security in general, so we all could maybe learn something? Would really appreciate any "Don’t"s.

No pressure, of course, if you don’t want to, absolutely. Just a general curiosity and a strive for maybe some “collective knowledge” )

Yes of course. That’s probably the most frustrating part. The fact that I was so careful (or at least thought I was). I use mostly hardware wallets but obviously could not in this case. I did however, keep the keys on a Cryptosteel. So they should have been fine. In general I’m very careful with all of my wallets and do things by the book. However, after many sleeplessness thinking about this I narrowed it down to 2 possibilities. 1) I know the person and they’re some uber spy with access and knowledge of where I keep things, or (and I think this is far more likely) someone gained access to my home pc. I do use software like Teamviewer from time to time and that opens up an avenue of attact I suppose. They would have had to be on at the exact same time that I opened the new wallet and wrote down the keys, with the fore-site of knowing I would one day put ADA in it. Seems far-fetched but anything is possible. The other developer is still looking at my logs so maybe they will shed some light.

Yeah you need to file a police report.

They do not need jurisdiction in China, this is Binance. If Binance are holding stolen funds they are cooperating in the crime - so Binance would freeze the funds and cooperate to get back to you. Normally this would be done through police, but is Crypto you might be lucky. but obviously the evidence burden here is none and the amount is small. It would all be on word. So the Police wont be doing anything. You could actually go ahead and do it, and just explain to them at the police station, that you need to file the report for Binance to further investigate. Obviously Portland police, wont be doing anything about it, but Its just a police report… Its like when you need insurance for break in, right the police wont really do anything, but the insurance just need the report.

and if Binance is willing to freeze and get them back with just that, well then you’re in luck. But yeah I do think Its unlikely the funds are still on Binance.

Could you get into more details as to what happened to you? You moved your coins from an exchange to your wallet and they never arrived? Or was it the other way around (wallet to exchange)?

I transferred them to my desktop Daedalus wallet and then a few hours later, those funds and all of the rest of my ADA were cleared it off my wallet. The final address is a binance address

Yeah all good points. I think I’ll do that this evening. You never know I guess.

Is there a possibilitie to create an offline paper wallet allready?

Yes, you can create paper-wallets since Daedalus 0.10 (Daedalus - Cryptocurrency wallet)

Hi! I have two quick questions that are somewhat related to this topic, and I don’t want to open a new thread.
1). When I delete the wallet on Daedalus, does the seed file/private key also get deleted? hypothetically, if a hacker hijack my mac, will he/she be able to retrieve the deleted the seed file/private key?
2). (Is it possible to) How can I create paper wallet offline? I tried to turn off my wifi when creating paper wallet and it did not work.
Thanks!

hi @headsaflame, I am also one of the victim of missing ADA. I googled the ADA address DdzFFzCqrht8oALCKJbR7eJCGzAUBwi6JTzcD1m5A7kDDWqz541FXudNEuaF6vTpPcQTfYmfxnnxLVR2BaLbXEqotrmxH5t6oVDhvevb and found this post. My 2199 ADA got stolen to this address and the 2199 ADA transaction is my case.

https://adatracker.com/address/DdzFFzCqrht8oALCKJbR7eJCGzAUBwi6JTzcD1m5A7kDDWqz541FXudNEuaF6vTpPcQTfYmfxnnxLVR2BaLbXEqotrmxH5t6oVDhvevb

I have no idea why my ADA got stolen. And I am also using the Daedalus wallet.

Very interesting that you found this thread by googling the hacker’s ADA address! I have been watching it for a while, looks like yours was stolen only a day before mine!

Is there anything that can be done to get our funds back do you think?