New Charles AMA 5/26/19

6 Likes

:octopus: If you are looking for something special, just finished time stamping and indexing the AMA topics on https://www.adatainment.com/ama

5 Likes

The health part, which starts at 1:09, is very interesting.

I was always wondering, if we the humans think that we are really smart, then why we are almost all have serious health issues (obesity, Type 2 DB, cardiovascular and cancer diseases etc.) and why we ppl do not invest into our health as much as we invest into the less important things like bonds, real estates, cars etc.?

Charles’ started a long journey in Nutrition Science, but to really understand it, he needs to deep-dive into the foundations of the modern biology especially cell and molecular biology, the molecular-biochemistry-genetics triad, Chemistry (would say organic chemistry is enough), Physics. And, yes it’s a very long journey, years or decades of multidisciplinary studies (by experience).

That’s why the firm statements (like in the AMA about promoting vegetarianism, or eat this eat that, do this diet or that diet) from the “professionals”, “gurus”, self-proclaimed nutritionists (to answer this we require evolutionary biology and social pshycology) who even have no clue how their body works, who even can’t answer to the simplest questions due to their lack of knowledge in these fields, is a bit bold. Some example questions I just made now:

• Why do the cardiac plaques (atheroma, atherosclerosis) only buildup in arteries and not in the veins? (requires organic chemistry)
  • Why 15-30% more men have heart attacks than women? (related to the above question and it requires organic chemistry too)
  • Why LDL goes up when you’re fasting and goes down when you eat high-fat diet at least for 3 days? (This is opposite to what almost all MDs would expect, cell biology)
  • Why HDL goes down in blood tests (despite the number of HDLs do not change in blood plasma) when someone is diabetic or pre-diabetic? (some help: glycation and ApoA coating, yep still need organic chemistry) Need advanced lipid tests to proove.
  • Where and how and in what form of your body fat leaves your body when you lose weight (very easy only requires Biology and Chemistry 101)?
    1. in normal glucose driven mode.
    2. in fasting mode or in diet base ketosis.

And I have several other questions in my mind for different diseases, Type 1/2 DB etc. to understand their physiology.