Pledging and Stake Cert Signing Questions / Understanding

Trying to make sure I understand how stake pool certs, signing, and pledging work, so hoping someone can confirm my understand or correct me where I’m wrong!

1. Technically, pledging and delegating are exactly the same and will both be possible from hardware wallets for mainnet.

2. Delegation becomes pledge as part of the stake pool cert registration process. The stake pool cert MUST be signed by the address’s staking private key. Then when they delegate, it becomes pledge instead of normal stake.

3. Assuming 2 is correct, will this signing be possible from a hardware wallet for mainnet? If not possible for mainnet, is the only option to send funds to a address I manage with CLI generated keys?

4. Addresses that pledge don’t get ANY rewards. These are given to the operator, and it is up to them to distribute back to the pledgers.

5. The pledge amount can be met by any combination of the owners pledge. So if I pledge 1m, and have 3 owners, it only matters that the total pledge of the three owners is 1m, not in which proportions.

Thanks in advance for any clarity!

@ChrisTeam Welcome to the community, always great to see folk joining us

If my thinking is correct, Delegating and Pledge are two distinct and separate actions.

The distinction falls were if you are Pool operator, a pledge is needed to operate a pool and its locked in, only for the life of the pool once abandoned you get your pledged amount back, which I believe falls to the minimum of roughly 500ADA, it serves as a security protocol and as a deterent too.

On the opposite side is obviously delegating, if you do not wish to be a pool operator then you can delegate your ADA to a pool operator and is more fluid, in that it’s not locked in and you can delegate as much or as little as you like.

In saying the above, some people use the terms loosely in conversations.

Again Welcome, great to have you here.

@Trigger Could you clarify further about this one?

The distinction falls were if you are Pool operator, a pledge is needed to operate a pool and its locked in, only for the life of the pool once abandoned you get your pledged amount back, which I believe falls to the minimum of roughly 500ADA, it serves as a security protocol and as a deterent too.

If you register as a Stakepool, there will be a pledge address, right? In time, while your stakepool is running, you could always send additional funds to that pledge address, so this means that the pledge amount during registration is only the minimum amount that was set at the registration and you could always replenish it later by sending ada later. I hope I understand this pledge mechanism correctly, please confirm. Thanks.

If I understand you correctly, you wish to open up a pool with x amount pledge and as time progresses you would like to increase that pledge in order to increase rewards for your delegates, if this is the case then I’m sure that’ll be possible.

@bigpey could clarify further for you