Registering and sharing RELAYS between different pools

When registering stake pools, we specify our RELAY server addresses.

QUESTIONS:

1. Exactly what’s the purpose of “registering” a relay? I understand what they do, but why must we “register” them?

2. What happens if all my registered relays were down, and my BlockProducer node was connected only to other relays (which I run, but they aren’t “registered”)? Would I then be unable to produce blocks?

3. Can the same node be registered for multiple stake pools? (if I ran multiple stake pools)

4. What would happen if NO relays were registered, but my BP node still connected to my unregistered relays? (would I then be unable to produce blocks?)

3 Likes

I can only answer #3. Yes, you can have the same relays registered to multiple pools. I am curious about the answers to the other questions.

1 Like

I just created a testnet pool and i’m also curious about the remining questions.

As far as i’m aware relays are what passes the blockchain information around so they need to be registered with the network in order to be a “respected member of the cardano computer society :rofl:” . A BP wouldn’t be able to produce a block if it is not connected to a registered relay because it would not be known by the network and therefore not be passed a block.

someone please correct me if i’m wrong here.

@TheAndy - Can we share relay node between 2 stake pools. I read some where there is a penalty.

If we can create then we just have to relay nodes address in pool registration certificate right?
Also we may have to change topology updater right?

Yes, there will be no issues… in fact this is the role of a relay… to connect Producers :slight_smile:

If we can create then we just have to relay nodes address in pool registration certificate right?

Right, u will need to submit a new pool certificate which will include the relays

Also we may have to change topology updater right?

Ofcourse, you will need to connect the Producers to the Relays and viceversa

1 Like