Scammed - Lost all our ADA

Very likely. I did a WHOIS on 2 domains these scammers setup (I fell for one of them) and saw that the domains were registered in the Netherlands but that the Name Server was in Russia. I am concluding that they are based in Russia out of reach of North American police jurisdiction.

I also noted that the first domain that scammed me was no longer accessible and that perhaps complaints led the hosting service to block them. The WHOIS information provides a contact email for abusive sites so I intent to email them and file a complaint against the scam site. Perhaps if they receive enough complaints then they will block the new site as well.

But then the scammers will just setup a new site and repeat the whole scam again and again!

You’re probably right for the small-time fishes, but I’d say with $4M you can buy a winning ticket for an Interpol notice much quicker than you can buy a judge in a developing country. And the funny thing is that ‘foreign jurisdictions’ tend to have the least funny prisons. There already are many cases of scammers caught while trying to launder their proceeds. Scamming and moving crypto is the easy part, converting $4M of crypto in fiat is on another level.

@bitkez good initiative, but without giving any ideas, I see quite a few scenarii in which a WHOIS query will be of no help to locate a scammer.

@raph_cardano thanks for sharing the interpol initiative. Fingers crossed it can help!

Hope so too. I do not know whether the CF is currently able to centralize scam-related information, that said I e-mailed them to ask about it. They could have more weight, and it would benefit many. Unfortunately there is an associated cost to dedicated resources.

And I apologize by advance if my analogy did hit a few sensibilities, many of my friends do come from so-called developing countries (in Africa) and they often joke about it, so I did intend no harm, nor disrespect. It’s in no way a «value judgement» if that makes sense. To have traveled myself in a few so-called developing countries and others with authoritarian regimes, from what I’ve seen, even though the life there is often many orders of magnitude tougher than in my country, usually people tend to be happier and closer to what I see as real human values. So I do hope for them to fight corruption as I do hope for us to learn from them on many other matters.

1 Like

Hello from Copenhagen Denmark. In a week or so, i normalt see two of such fake vedioes. Two things which i automatically do is…

1. Log on YouTube, make one detailed abuse report about scam.
  2. Go to whois and contact the website provider and make and abuse case where making sure, the website provider is told they are hosting scam sites, that normalt Works quick.
    But i use a few hours each month doing 1 and 2. Many ways each of os can help support the Cardano system.
2 Likes

Hello, let’s take a simple example for illustration purposes. Let’s say a scammer X is using a website A, so he does his thing, then you come, you spend a few hours reporting A, maybe others do like yourself and report A as well. Now the scammer is using website B (registering a domain name takes under a minute, and setting up a basic website is well under an hour when everything is ready), so you spend again a few hours and so on. In the end, X is still there, scamming as ever, it’s a bit of a «whack-a-mole» situation. CF and the community are doing their best at preventing these scams by informing people «before the fact» like the article on preventing loss of Ada, the video of Charles Hoskinson on giveaway scams, the post of @andreassosilo. There even is a wiki for scam alerts, but it does not seem operational right now. Despite all of that, sometimes it’s too late. And spending resources on the symptom will not eradicate the root cause.

Don’t get me wrong, it’s definitely better to report when you can rather than not do it, my point is only about efficiency. If you’ve got one central entity for relevant data collection then not only can you gather much more actionable information (imagine CF had the list of all scammer wallets, then they could get flagged on all exchanges), you can see patterns (like the same website being used on several domain names) and you avoid letting several people doing the exact same thing when only one would have been enough.

Av, yes i see the point…still gonna use the time, and CF fraud is in the tubes, so :+1: as ADA…
In ADA er trust, All others go ETH.

1 Like

Someone is using a website for an ADA giveaway.

You send an amount and you get double back. Look out because I lost a lot of my ADA

addr1qx0cam7q8v4ae6320shv630gp97w7menwyw0gju5q0q005lf252jeq0760k8s8kt9r4mde3gk4gc6s4805nvxmqx2qnsqxcthd

[Link removed by @Zyroxa]

[Link removed by @Zyroxa]

1 Like

Sorry to hear that you too were scammed into giving away your ADA; I too lost mine a few days ago. They keep changing the web site but it is the same scam and site layout. Not much one can do except learn from the experience and become seriously vigilant against such scams which are bound to increase as the world of cryptocurrency expands.

You can email the registrar of the domain to complain and ask them to take down the site. I will do so too.

Registrar WHOIS Server: whois.namecheap.com
Registrar URL: www.namecheap.com
Updated Date: 2021-05-13T23:33:23Z
Creation Date: 2021-05-13T21:30:30Z
Registry Expiry Date: 2022-05-13T21:30:30Z
Registrar Registration Expiration Date:
Registrar: NameCheap, Inc
Registrar IANA ID: 1068
Registrar Abuse Contact Email: abuse@namecheap.com
Registrar Abuse Contact Phone: +1.6613102107

1 Like

Just one remark though, when you use WHOIS you should in fact use it twice, one for the domain name, and one for the machine behind (using its IP address). If you just take down the domain name, then it is enough for the scammer to register a new one, without changing the code.

1 Like

Lost quite a lot of ada to this scam too about 8k worth of ada that i have been painstakingly accumulating. Ah so angry over my greed. I used to work in a crypto exchange… Man. So pissed with myself.

Done me as well, proper foolish of me, 10,000 ada gone, what a scumbag

Sent an image as NFT towards his address saying that he’s a scammer. I don’t think many people will see it, but hey, if it keeps one person from being scammed im happy.

1 Like

Is it actually illegal? Yes its a $3!TY thing to do, and I hope the burn in hell, but with no governance over the crypto market like the SEC is there really anything that can be done about it?

Long story short, there is nothing you can do to simply get your Ada back, what’s done is done. Concerning the legality of it all, I’m no lawyer but the way I see it, scamming is a form of theft, you cannot abuse the trust of someone and legally empty their account, no matter the currency unit. It’s not the victim’s fault, the only «fault» they did was trusting the wrong person. Of course, it’s a bit tougher to catch scammers in the act provided they know a bit about opsec but since that is possible while on the dark web, it’s even easier on the clear web.

Regular people can usually do nothing more than reporting these websites like it has been previously showed, I mean, to be exact, sometimes they can but not «within the confines of the law» :smirk_cat:. On the other hand, LE already have dedicated resources and are using tools for that (e.g. GraphSense which is open-source, but there are also CipherTrace, Chainalysis and possibly others), if you believe this Interpol publication. Plus there are several specialized cybercrime units in many countries nowadays.

1 Like

There’s a live broadcast on now with 18000 people watching. In the text it says there is a 100000 Ada giveaway . It’s a scam. The recording of Charles is from over a month ago. Trouble is there are over 19000 subscribed to the YouTube channel

Yes, I see the latest YouTube video and now they are pointing to a new domain. I complained yesterday to Namecheap.com about the scam domain and it was blocked. I just sent them another complaint about the current domain (registered today) so hopefully it will be blocked soon. Yes, I know they will just register another and another site and we can’t track or block them all. I wish YouTube would step up and act more responsibly in clamping down on such scams that use the YT platform.

Hence the importance of also reporting the IP address to the network operator if you want to go down this road, otherwise it’s a play of whack-a-mole. And each time you report a website to anyone else than LE, it’s possibly deleted with its logs (needed by LE for their investigations). A domain name is just one record in a DNS server, one line that says this domain name is using that IP address. namecheap is indeed used by many «not so legal» websites, so many in fact that I don’t think they care much about it. Provided the network operator may be held liable, I believe you’ll have more impact this way if that’s what you want.

1 Like

Almost fell for this scam after first major ADA purchase. But unlike those that fell for it, I quickly did my research to make sure this wasn’t a scam. Luckily, I ran into Charles’ YT and saw he mentioned he NEVER gives away free ada.

1 Like

Thanks, I will include the IP address whenever I alert the registrar about a scamming web site.