Set up pool on testnet using single VPS instance

You are correct, everything should be fine then, if everything works on mainnet. 64 symbols limitation then should be applied only to metadata link. :slight_smile:

Learn something new every day. :slight_smile:

In this case, I think you need just to wait?

1 Like

Ok, that’s what I was thinking, too. :slight_smile:

I also learned about adatools.io, and I managed to look up the pool by hardcoding the URL with the pool ID. It does find something, and it shows a helpful message “Pool Not Crawled Yet.
Once a pool is registered, it may take a few hours to appear. If you are the pool operator, please check the “Health” tab.”

Thanks for your responses @os11k

1 Like

One more question…

For Mainnet, we can update the topology.json file with connected peers by making a web service call to https://api.clio.one/htopology/v1/fetch. I tried to do a similar call for Testnet and I get an error message as follows. Does somebody know how to update the peers in the testnet-topology.json by chance?

BLOCKPRODUCING_IP=<my ip address>
BLOCKPRODUCING_PORT=6000
curl -s  "https://api.clio.one/htopology/v1/fetch/?max=20&customPeers=\${BLOCKPRODUCING_IP}:\${BLOCKPRODUCING_PORT}:1|relays-new.cardano-testnet.iohkdev.io:3001:2"
{ "resultcode": "402", "datetime":"2022-01-18 13:31:13", "clientIp": "75.119.157.227", "iptype": 4, "msg": "IP is not (yet) allowed to fetch this list",  "Producers": [   { "addr": "relays-new.cardano-testnet.iohkdev.io", "port": 3001, "valency": 2 } , { "addr": "relays-new.cardano-mainnet.iohk.io", "port": 3001, "valency": 2 } ]  }

# I get this error even though I have successfully run the CRON job for topologyUpdater.sh each hour for an entire day

Thanks much.

Hi @extramileit , you need to wait 3 hours or so. Your topology script should run hourly and it will tell remote API that your relay is online. After 3 hours or more(I don’t recall), you will be able to fetch remote peers.

On other hand, I myself using p2p on testnet, this makes topologyupdater obsolete, but it has their own bugs.

Hi @os11k could you share how we could enable P2P in testnet? Would like to try that out

I didn’t realize the P2P was an option. Would you be able to share some tips on how to configure that?

Regarding the topology updater, I have let my cron job run for a full day and the logs indicate it is working. I’m not sure why it doesn’t like the request. Maybe the web service URL is different for testnet?

That said, I think I’d be game for trying the P2P route instead.

You need to have following topology file on your realys, BP stays as it were:

Don’t forget to set “EnableP2P”: true in testnet-config.json

@os11k noticed iohk relay is listed in publicRoots, is it necessary to maintain staticly apart from the BP node in private Roots.

P2P should be able to find peers automatically isn’t it?

I’m pretty sure you can remove it. But I use it like this.

1 Like

If we want to use P2P, do we download the p2p node config files instead of the testnet ones? I don’t see the property enableP2P in the testnet-config.json file, but I do see it in p2p-config.json.

https://hydra.iohk.io/build/7926804/download/1/index.html

I used old config, I just added that flag on top.

like this:

Additionally if you are super brave, you can try to enable duplex test protocol(what seems doesn’t work too well, at least from my understanding)

"TestEnableDevelopmentNetworkProtocols": true

2 Likes

Nice! It looks like it’s working. I’m seeing it settle on roughly 60 cold peers, 20 warm peers, and 20 hot peers.

Do you know of any documentation from IOG on the P2P by chance? I can probably find it myself, so sorry for being lazy. :wink:

I included the peer related props in your gist in testnet-config.json as well

"TargetNumberOfRootPeers": 100,
"TargetNumberOfKnownPeers": 100,
"TargetNumberOfEstablishedPeers": 50,
"TargetNumberOfActivePeers": 20,

Thanks for sharing @os11k this seems to be working for me. Earlier I was testing with the other config files under p2p and got to some error about hash not matching for p2p-shelley-genesis.json, anyway after following your instructions it looks ok.

cardano-node-p2p

1 Like

@extramileit where did you find those props at? Didn’t see any of it in the p2p-config.json file where you had a link to.

It was in the gist from @os11k . Just scroll down a bit. I don’t know for sure if we need to include those props, but I was guessing so. Maybe @os11k can respond on that.

gist

Okay, will check on it. I’ve got a question though, I only see 1 Incoming connection, is that right? Do you see more than one?

those are default settings:

So if you want you can adjust them. nevertheless I played with those config a bit and it didn’t worked well. I had too much missed slots. I would recommend you for beginning leave as it is for now.

1 Like

Yes, I am seeing more than 1. I’ll drop my config below. I’m only running a BP node.

Screenshot from 2022-01-18 09-08-47

# testnet-topology.json
{
	"LocalRoots": {
		"groups": [
			{
				"localRoots": {
					"accessPoints": [
						{
							"address": "<My IP>",
							"port": 6000 
						}
					],
					"advertise": false
				},
				"valency": 1
			}
		]
	},
	"PublicRoots": [
		{
			"publicRoots": {
				"accessPoints": [
					{
						"address": "relays-new.cardano-testnet.iohkdev.io",
						"port": 3001
					}
				],
				"advertise": true
			}
		}
	],
	"useLedgerAfterSlot": 0
}
# testnet-config.json
{
  "EnableP2P": true,
  "AlonzoGenesisFile": "testnet-alonzo-genesis.json",

I think you need to wait a bit.

Maybe your gLiveView is old?

You can check your peers like this too, on your relay:

curl -s  127.0.0.1:12797/metrics  | grep connectionManager
cardano_node_metrics_connectionManager_prunableConns 0
cardano_node_metrics_connectionManager_outgoingConns 48
cardano_node_metrics_connectionManager_incomingConns 7
cardano_node_metrics_connectionManager_duplexConns 0
cardano_node_metrics_connectionManager_unidirectionalConns 55

I restarted some time ago my relays, so I have only 7 now too.

@os11k ay I know what port is this? EKG? or Prometheus?