Slots missed when logging to file

I’m getting missed slots, so I through I would play around with my block node and see if I could do something about it. I through maybe the logging was a bit excessive, so I changed the log to goto /dev/null.

Making the above change seem to have fixed it, at least I went more then 12 hours without missing a slot. Previously, I would go about 8 hours and then I would start missing slots. I’m using Grafana to view the missed slot metric, and wondering if my change actually fixed it, or just stopped the reporting of missed slots.

1 Like

Have you tried to switch back to log to file again and montior missed slots?

Hi John, where exactly have you changed it ? I want to try it out

I did, just to see if it starting missing slots again, and it did.

I changd it the config.json (I’m using cntools), which is under /opt/cardano/cnode/files. Changed the sections “defaultScribes” and “setupScribes” to both point to /dev/null. It maybe called
mainnet-config.json for you.

“defaultScribes”: [
[
“FileSK”,
“/dev/null”
]
],

“setupScribes”: [
{
“scKind”: “FileSK”,
“scName”: “/dev/null”,
“scFormat”: “ScJson”,
“scRotation”: null
}
]

There is a scribe called DevNullSK, but I couldn’t work out how to set it up, cntools setup to log to a file, so I just changed the filename to /dev/null.

I’ve run it like this for 19 hours without missing a slot. At least grafana doesn’t report any missed slots.

Perfect thx. i´m testing it now out :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hi, just a short update. I have run now the nodes with logging to /dev/null for 16h. But i have still some lost slots

1 Like

Did you miss many? Less then before? I’ve turned logging back on, the changed it to “Notice” level. I’ve missed 2 blocks in the last 12 hours.

1 Like

Spoke to soon, now missing a couple every hour or so.

1 Like

i have the same situation

1 Like

I noticed that this can remain as originally is:
“defaultBackends”: [
“KatipBK”
],
“defaultScribes”: [
[
“StdoutSK”,
“stdout”
]
],

But, for this part, try:

“setupScribes”: [
{
“scFormat”: “ScText”,
“scKind”: “DevNullSK”,
“scName”: “nooutput”,
“scRotation”: null
}
]

You won’t have output, but some metrics are going to be available if you activate the specific tracers.

Hope that helps,

Tapioca Pool

2 Likes