Topology Updater Service

Hello, sorry for cross-posting or recurrent question but I couldn’t find exact solution. Is there any way to use topology update service/script on testnet with IOHK docker image based node? There are too many missing package like grep, and no easy way to install i.e. package manager. There are so much check or step in the script and because of that I am not willing to port script to docker image. Thanks in advance.

Hi! I’m using official IOHK docker images to run my pools, but I run topology updater on the host. Keep in mind that it is not recommended to have more then 1 process in 1 container. So best practice would be to have separate container for topology-updater or run it on host, having several processes inside one container is possible, but is not really encouraged.

Not a docker expert here, so sorry for not giving a direct answer.
But if you run 1.35.x on testnet it might is a good time to enable P2P mode, and let other p2p nodes find your on-chain registered relays.

Not subscribing to TU then means all other TU only (non P2P) nodes will not find your relays. But as more and more relays will enable p2p, and quite many in testnet already have this shouldn’t create any problems.

Hello again, I did some modifications on the TU script and env file to run on the host machine. After that, I registered my relays and get fulfilled topology.json file. I planning to monitor for couple of days. My expectations on processed TX count are increasing step by step. If there is no change, I will enable p2p. Thanks for your replies.

EDIT: After 1 hour, my processed tx counts are increasing. I think, I have incoming connections to my relays. My relays are listed on iohk testnet list. Thanks.

Last but not least, do I have to set a cronjob to restart my node service to use the updated topology file? TU script is triggered with cron, no prob. However, is it necessary to restart the node every hour?

It’s o.k. to start every day - or even 2nd day. You’ll only need to push for being kept in their database. Pulling a new topology can be done just before restart.

Thanks. After successful registration on testnet, I tried TU service for my mainnet relays. Pool is not created yet, I’m just willing to add my relay addresses to IOHK topology file. TU cronjob is set and logs says “welcome to the topology” and “glad you’re staying with us” :). My relays process tons of TXs, but my relay addresses are not shown in topology.json.

I double-checked my env file variables and TU variables. Is there any opinion?

You’ll have to wait for 4 hours. It just takes time for things to integrate. Btw. the service is provided by clio.one which is just some other SPO from the early days.

Thanks for fast reply. I set cronjob yesterday and it made successful more than ten requests. I can wait for a couple of days. :slight_smile:

That’s unrelated to topologyUpdater, the update to the contents of link is maintained seperately by IO - and may not be updated frequently (last I checked it was once a week).

1 Like

Oh I see. I misunderstood that if I make update request once in an hour for 4 hours, I place on topology file.

Hi @werkof ,

Another similar question to some of the above: we are also deploying a cardano stake pool with multiple relay nodes hosted on K8s. In our case, we also have an additional layer of indirection caused by Cloudflare DoS protection. Like the other cases, this means we can’t egress from the same IP as that linked to the DNS address of the node, which implies the topology-updater script won’t work for us out of the box.

Is the correct solution to this still to get in touch with you to share the public IP associated with our relay node address, or is there now a different procedure?

still the same procedure. please DM me the IP

…or meanwhile just enable P2P and register all your nodes on chain with your public IP and individual ports