UPDATE CARDANO NODE to 1.26.1 - FOR CNTOOLS users

I am on ubuntu 20.04 and every once in a while, snapd dominates my CPU. Is there anything that I can do about this?

There is a broken character, try

sudo cp $(find $HOME/git/cardano-node/dist-newstyle/build -type f -name "cardano-node") /usr/local/bin/cardano-node

sudo cp $(find $HOME/git/cardano-node/dist-newstyle/build -type f -name "cardano-cli") /usr/local/bin/cardano-cli

@tsipou Hope it wokred?

1 Like

@Alexd1985 Alex thank you, worked perfectly.
Update time - 2h 20 min
Sync - 2h 10 min
Node 2 vCPU 8 GB Ram

2 Likes

I’d recommend adjustments in firewall rules on your temporary bp so that its not wide open to the outside.

thank you @milky indeed, after I restarted the server I needed these 2 lines to start again the node.

1 Like

@milky but why before to restart the server everything is working fine… and why we need to copy the files in usr/local/bin when already exist in /.cabal/bin folder in order to start again the service?

@Alexd1985 These are compiled binary files, they need to be inside /usr/local/bin to run command “cardano-node”, or start system service cnode.service (it uses this system path). Actually I don’t know why the whole script didn’t make this for us.

1 Like

yes but I have these files in cabal… and it worked till restart
and just for 1.26.1 it happens

$ which cardano-cli
/home/rexxx/.cabal/bin/cardano-cli

I never moved the binary files to usr/local/… for previously versions

@Alexd1985
Try type:

echo "$PATH"

This will show path the system uses for command. In my case I have no .cabal folder here

echo “$PATH”
/home/rexxx/.cabal/bin:/home/rexxx/.ghcup/bin:/usr/local/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin:/sbin:/bin:/usr/games:/usr/local/games:/snap/bin

So maybe there was a conflict of binaries? Now there are the same versions of binaries after cp. Check your system service of cardano-node which binary it uses, but it’s fine if it work
EDIT - also you can show htop

Check your system service of cardano-node which binary it uses,

how can I check this? anyway… I deleted them and I think I needed to run again the deploy-as-systemd script after I updated the node version… .now it’s working after server restart

First, check what avaliable services you have (maybe you have both ‘cnode’ and ‘cardano-node’?):

ls -l /etc/systemd/system/

Check which services are active now, and make sure there is only one cardano node like “cnode”, or “cardano-node” - not both:

sudo systemctl

when you have name of service open it in nano, example:

cd /etc/systemd/system/
nano cnode.service 

There is something like exec start, in my case it is “/opt/cardano/cnode/scripts/cnode.sh” so it means it uses ‘cardano-node’.
Maybe you run before an installation not provided by cntools? So some files were in conflict

Nope… all good. I think I had another issue and related with urs but it wasn’t

Cheers,

I have upgraded 2 Relay nodes to 1.26.1.
The overall upgrade duration for DB migration, starting , and syncing was about 1 hour.

But the block producer node took around 8 hours to sync completely and go online as a CORE-MAINNET

All three nodes have the same VM machine specs with usin 256GB SSD drive ( utilization was never above 13% ) , 16GB of RAM , 8 VCPU (Xeon W2245).

Thanks Alex! Great guide as usual. Got everything updated flawlessly in under 2 hours.

Well my case was the opposite. My relays took 1,5 hours but the BP only took about 45mins to build from prereqs.sh to fully synched core with no DB snapshot… All 3 machines where done as per this awesome guide step by step.

1 Like

Do we need to update from 1.25.1 to 1.26.1 to use cntools at this point?

I’m getting CNTools failed to load common env file error

Hmm… I don’t think so (try on another relay… same mesaage?)… I can’t confirm right now (I’am not at home)

Yeah, same error on relay