Usage of ADA (finances and applications)

Hello all,

I have a question regarding the ADA in circulation.

What is the percentage of ADA in circulation that is currently estimated to be in the area of financial speculation and how many are in the area of real use?
Don’t to be meant that financial speculation is not a use. :wink:

As an example for the speculative use is an ADA HODLer or a trader and for a real use are projects like the supply chain tracking implemented on Cardano with Scantrust or for example the projects in africa.

I am also interested in how the introduction of smart contracts can shift the weighting.

Thanks and greetings
Oli

3 Likes

Hi @obln77 you might want to check this IOG blog out:

Hi,

I have been reading the article.
I am always on the daily news related to cardano so far.

What I just wonder is:
Currently about 70-80% of ADA is in staking pools and thus we call it “less exposed to fluctuations”.

I would like to know approximately how many of the ADA are in the hands of people hoping to capitalize on it and how many of the ADA in circulation are already doing a “job/work” today.

As an example:
If now through a project 1 million people use PRISM…

What does that mean?
Does someone have to buy ADA for it? Who?
How many of these ADAs will then be used for transactions?

So: Are Coins getting locked by projects / real life usecases soon as smart contracts arrive?

What is current and future use and what is speculation from your point of view?

Thanks and greetings
Oli

1 Like

Hi all,

bringing up this question again.

There it is. 5 million users being onboarded to cardano with atala prism.
What does this mean for useage of ada?

Writing to the blockchain need transactions.
Transactions cost fees paid in ada.

Who is going to buy how many ada for this ongoing usecase / these transactions.
What does all that mean for transactions on the blockchain? Sounds like it should go up, etc.

Can someone give an example please?

Thank you
best regards
Oli

I can’t answer all your questions, but staked ADA is not locked at all. ADA staking works through a snapshot mechanism. The network takes a snapshot of the staked ada every 5 days. Meanwhile all staked ADA can be moved wherever the owner wishes it to go.

If I am correct, as of now, since we don’t have smart contracts yet to actually lock ADA or other cardano assets, no ada is locked. Except some small amounts (2 ADA when you delegate and 500 ada when you register a staking pool).

Besides locked ADA, actual projects that use the blockchain for transactions, like prism will generate “extra” transactions. And as more projects are involved, more NFT’s are created and traded and so on, more transactions will take place.

registering one’s identity on the blockchain means a transaction will have to take place for which fees need to be paid. Creating NFT’s, sending ADA to somebody else, sending cardano tokens/assets to somebody, delegating and un-delegating, interacting with smartcontract, they all will generate transactions and corresponding fees. So yes, transactions will increase.

actually, the last months they have been increasing massively:
Cardano Insights | Cardano Staking (adapools.org)

1 Like

Ah thx, that was helpfull. Having an eye on it. :slight_smile:

1 Like