What is the Cardano Constitution?

There seems to be some confusion between the concepts of what is a Constitution and a Declaration of community values.

A Constitution contains the highest level of laws that pertains to governance.

Generally, every modern written constitution confers specific powers on an organisation or institutional entity, established upon the primary condition that it abides by the constitution’s limitations.
Constitution - Wikipedia

A Declaration of values, such as Universal Declaration of Human Rights | United Nations can also be known as a Manifesto.

A manifesto is a published declaration of the intentions, motives, or views of the issuer, be it an individual, group, political party or government. Manifesto - Wikipedia

When we look at the history of the American Constitution, the many state backed Declarations of Civil Rights were left out because the

delegates were tired and wanted to go home. The Constitution was approved by the Constitutional Convention and sent to the states for ratification without a bill of rights. The Declaration, the Constitution, and the Bill of Rights | Constitution Center

These were added to the Constitution 3 years later as the first 10 Amendments and became known as the Bill of Rights. Unfortunately, these were largely ignored until the 20th century

when the Supreme Court began vigorously to apply the Bill of Rights against the states, that the document became the centerpiece of contemporary struggles over liberty and equality. The Declaration, the Constitution, and the Bill of Rights | Constitution Center

I’ve gone into some detail of the American experience, since this is what I see developing for Cardano governance. It seems we are going down the road to a Constitutional Committee or Senate, dReps or Representatives, with SPOs perhaps functioning as local governance representatives. Is truly the best we can come up with? It looks like this has already been decided for us as the method Cardano governance will take. https://github.com/JaredCorduan/CIPs/tree/voltaire-v1/CIP-1694

There is more than one governance structure we can model after. My own belief is that we have an opportunity to attempt a more radical form of governance for some areas. I list below some references I’ve discovered while researching different governance styles so far.

Supporting Constitution Builders Globally | ConstitutionNet
What Is a Constitution? Principles and Concepts
Short Manifesto Examples
How to Write a Meaningful Purpose Statement in Five Steps

3 Likes