When is Shelley coming?

I hope someone can tell me

You can check out their roadmap online. The promise is that Shelley will be delivered by year’s end. It will be rolled out in 3 phases: Current phase is the local testnet (you can currently run this on your own machine), then a distributed testnet (the local testnet talking with other nodes), then finally the distributed mainnet. The mainnet is meant to launch with Cardano being fully decentralized by year’s end.

Charles Hoskinson has promised to ‘eat my shoe’ if Cardano is not decentralized as a mainnet by year’s end. The team has 5 months. Should be interesting :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Thank you for your answer, I hope the shoes are not delicious.:stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

As if he will. He won’t do it. It was just a figure of speech.

The memes will be more painful than the meal if they are late!

2 Likes

That’s for sure! At least he’ll be able to climb that mountain once Shelley is done.

1 Like

I don’t think he will either … but because CH is partial to these throw back idioms, if he doesn’t pay a penance for delivering late, I will personally burn my stash … I do feel like this is his last shot to silence the nay sayers.

You can’t get upset… the average person doesn’t understand how these things work, they can’t visualize them. Software development is an empty term for most folks, devoid of any actual real-life reference. :relaxed:
All is good, we’ll get there :crossed_fingers:

1 Like

Also, I chuckled at this. Sounds like a posh version of “Bro, do you even lift?”. Thanks! :joy:

2 Likes

Both sides of this argument are true. To create quality software like this is extraordinarily difficult and time consuming and the average person doesn’t understand what goes into it or how long it takes.

I don’t think Charles should’ve committed to the end of the year as my hunch and I suspect many others feel that it’ll take longer. Although I’m keen to see the project progress to the next phase, I’m far more interested in seeing it completed well. I believe this will be cardano’s strength long term.

2 Likes

Everyone is joking:微笑:

Hahahaha. Omg he needs some chamomile tea.

A couple are tiring to Algorand. That must say something, right? Odd in that all software for the mars rover did not undergo formal process and the same with many other applications and many OS’s like IOS, Windows…but I forget, none of those are used for mission critical work.

Really? I think the point is formal review is great but being agile and having a group of talented people as well reviewing informally can yield results as fast. Utilizing firms like Runtime Verification aid in providing a type of formal verification.

On another note, glad to see someone patenting their tech.

https://patents.google.com/patent/WO2017192837A1/en

Thank you for your analysis
Every great thing will be filled with difficulties and doubts.
Jobs’s Apple, Musk’s Space Program, CH’s Cardano.
I hold a lot of ADA, I hope he can bring me good luck.

If I were building a program for something used globally by millions 100 years in the future, I would want the language/foundation to be as secure and future proof as possible! Why would I build on crappy, rushed tech like some of the other cryptos? Right now ethereum needs to be forked for each update and they’re talking about using bitcoin cash for scalability at 5 transactions per second? What a joke!

4 Likes

Great things to come!

My apologies.

2 Likes

As a retired developer, I think you need to give them time. As was mentioned some people don’t understand the work that goes into secure releases, its all to benefit you the user in the end, I am from the school of “take your time but make sure its bloody right”.
Too many ADA holders are impatient, myself well I am still accumulating and putting as much ADA as possible in the safe, when we get to around the years 2022-23 I will be opening the safe and hopefully buying a LAMBO! :wink: I can’t wait to see whats ahead…

2 Likes

If Tesla (motors) used formal verification, we’d still be using a horse and buggy, just saying.

And while you formally verify, someone will develop, save money,
by looking at your published work and open source code then implement findings you paid for in sweat, tears, and capital faster, because you’re still formally verifying.